Disabled ID Card — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled ID Card

OlliHannah
OlliHannah Community member Posts: 30 Connected

Hi Everyone

I was just wondering whether anyone has had any experience of using the Disabled ID card and could share any feedback on it please?

http://www.did-card.co.uk/index.php

Thanks!

Comments

• 3_SAMagnify1
    3_SAMagnify1 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    I didn't know that the disabled ID card How do I go about getting one?

• OlliHannah

Hi 3_SAMagnify1

If you follow the link http://www.did-card.co.uk/index.php it will take you to the site where you can apply. There is a fee for the card which is why I was interested to see whether anyone has any feedback on it

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    I've seen this pop up on Facebook a few times. I'd be really interested in any personal experiences. It seems like a good idea but if the take up is low, it's unlikely businesses will accept it. This seems like a very small business, so I doubt that many people have them.

There's another similar scheme called the Access Card:
    http://www.accesscard.org.uk/

It's a bit cheaper, and has information about your access requirements on it.

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    How widely recognised would this commercial product be?

If someone requires you to prove your disability then they are illegally discriminating against you. They would not ask a non-disabled person to prove anything.

Are you to prove you are not committing a fraud to get their measly concession?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    I imagine it's not widely recognised!

Unfortunately, lots of businesses require proof - usually a benefits letter, blue badge or disabled bus pass. It's a shame - but I guess businesses need to protect themselves from misuse.
  • OlliHannah
    I have asked for feedback from some of our Scope services in Wales and it appears that nobody has had any experience of using the card and, not surprisingly, people that are aware of it are put off by the fee
  • Seachy
    Seachy Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Does anyone have any experience of using this card, there is already so much expense associated with disability, blue badges, wheelchairs, scooters, radar keys etc that every penny saved helps, so paying for another card needs to be worth it, if you know what I mean? So many of my friends thought that all these things were free and were surprised they were not. It is expensive being disabled that we all know. I'd happily carry a card like this if it was widely recognised and perhaps a scheme that allowed it to offer some sort of discount offers would be another way it could become more accepted and recognised
  • mimiweeks
    mimiweeks Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I've got one and have used it at the Eden Project, Blue Reef and Blackpool Towers.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2017
    Various arts organisations (museums, galleries, theatres, concert halls, opera houses) have their own Access card, or Access membership but no actual card issued, free to join, enabling members to receive discounts on tickets.  Many other organisations, though not having an Access membership scheme, do offer discounts to disabled people direct without a Disabled ID card but do require some proof of disabled status.
  • 3_SAMagnify1
    3_SAMagnify1 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    What's The charge for the Disabled Identity Card? andoes is last more than a year?

• OlliHannah

Hi @3_SAMagnify1

The following answer is from the FQAs on their website:

A standard online application will cost:
    £10 for 1 year or
    £13 for 2 years.

A postal application with a cheque or postal order (or a partially online application) will cost:
    £15 for 1 year or
    £18 for 2 years.

Hope that helps

Olli

• Zec Richardson
    Zec Richardson Community member Posts: 154 Pioneering
    I hate the idea of a disability card!

It's bad enough that we have to convince someone we are disabled in an assessment, so having to prove disability by producing a card is not forums.

However I am a wheelchair user and so it is obvious that I am disabled, the people with invisible disabilities may find this useful.
  • OlliHannah

Hi Zec

I absolutely understand where you're coming from and agree that people shouldn't have to 'prove' disability. Unfortunately as I'm sure you are aware people are often very quick to judge others and make decisions on people based on no facts at all which can often lead to difficulties.

That is why I was interested to see whether anyone had any experience of using a Disability ID card. From the replies so far though there doesn't appear to be any wide knowledge of them never mind wide usage!

Thanks everyone for your replies :-)

Olli

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    A Disability ID card would be useful to prove entitlement to disability discounts, but not essential.  Other forms of disabled status would be accepted:  Disabled Freedom Pass and Blue Badge.
  • rosscolfc
    rosscolfc Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Personally I'd like some wallet sized card. I have a driving licence to prove i can drive. 

Having an invisible disability I often have to "prove" I'm disabled in order to get a concession at events. Just started watching local ice hockey, I can't stand so need a seat, seats are more expensive but I get a consession so I can sit cheaper. Although booking it I'm asked to prove it, my proof is my blue badge and that in the car parked in a disabled bay. 

And as im not always able to use my walking stick I could swear most think I'm just "trying it on" to get something cheaper!
  • Fundamentalist
    Fundamentalist Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    Hi from Fm. I have an orange bus pass because amongst other things I have learning disability. And the card mentioned above wouldn't really help me as I'm disabled in such a way that I can't go to any rowdy events because of all the excruciating noise and dreadful behaviour of the people there. Just as a "disabled" rail card is no use to me either as it's too expensive and I don't use trains anywhere near enough to save anything, it would only be more expensive. I didn't know there was any such ID cards available, do the issuer's recognise misophonia? I bet they don't! And the people who run the nowcard scheme don't recognise it either, I can only get a bus pass which I really need because of all the appalling disruption to my journeys because I have a learning disability, there's no mention of anything like misophonia on the leaflets, and that needs to change. Fm.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger

Hi FM, while I can understand your frustration and it would be good if we knew and understood all the recognised conditions to add these to leaflets would not be practical.

The government website listing recognised disabilities lists 83 example of  various disabilities. There are a few I don't recognise and some which  I know are but not included. Phobias are missing and in extreme cases can become a disability. Even if all the disabilities could be listed its value in raising awareness would be extremely doubtful.

If a company chooses to lower its profits from ticket sales then they are in their right to ask for proof that the person asking for it is entitled to the concession fee. But not all disabled people are in receipt of the usual recognised documents. My daughter has autism but as she works and has chosen to not apply for DLA or PIP, or any of the recognised concessions, like the blue badge she has very little to prove she has autism other than the original letter which gave her diagnosis. Having a recognised disability is no guarantee that she would get disability benefits, such as PIP.

As for would they recognise a particular condition? You won't see it listed but if you take the time to look at what evidence they will accept it includes a letter from your doctor if you don't have the usual evidence.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• rosscolfc
    rosscolfc Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    edited January 2017
    Geoark said:

Hi FM, while I can understand your frustration and it would be good if we knew and understood all the recognised conditions to add these to leaflets would not be practical.

The government website listing recognised disabilities lists 83 example of  various disabilities. There are a few I don't recognise and some which  I know are but not included. Phobias are missing and in extreme cases can become a disability. Even if all the disabilities could be listed its value in raising awareness would be extremely doubtful.

If a company chooses to lower its profits from ticket sales then they are in their right to ask for proof that the person asking for it is entitled to the concession fee. But not all disabled people are in receipt of the usual recognised documents. My daughter has autism but as she works and has chosen to not apply for DLA or PIP, or any of the recognised concessions, like the blue badge she has very little to prove she has autism other than the original letter which gave her diagnosis. Having a recognised disability is no guarantee that she would get disability benefits, such as PIP.

As for would they recognise a particular condition? You won't see it listed but if you take the time to look at what evidence they will accept it includes a letter from your doctor if you don't have the usual evidence.

That's it really, the companies are doing a good thing reducing the cost to sit etc for those who need to and various other reasons but they also need to know that no one is playing the system.

after all look at how many park in blue badge spaces with out one. And I'm sure, especially when booking tickets online, if some one notices the price is halved by ticking the "concession" box some people will do it.

would just be nice that when they ask you to prove your cooncession, if we all had a government backed I'd card like a driving licence the person at the till will know instantly that they don't have to ask any more stupid questions.

no different to being asked for your ID in Asda to buy beer etc
  • jubbyuk
    jubbyuk Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    The issue is having to carry round your diagnosis letter that has personal and intimate information on it about your personal life history. 
    There needs to be some Central way to proof you are disabled if your disability doesn’t qualify for dla pip, blue badge, travel pass. 

Would be aldo good to be able to show if you have difficult somewhere. 
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    This has come up on Facebook quite a lot, as someone mentioned. But I'm a bit reluctant to purchase something that doesn't appear to widely recognised. But a credit card sized document (I do have my disabled persons railcard plus bus pass) would be useful.

Brightness