Can't get benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can't get benefits

Options
robertmc09
robertmc09 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: What is a "support group" in ESA?.

Comments

• robertmc09
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Am recovering from throat cancer but can't get any benefits because my wife works. doctor has upped my antidepressants to 200 mil of sertraline have applied for ESA end of November but still nothing am at my wits end as my wife is having to pay for everything I have no income and the strain on my marriage of 44years is taking its toll please advice Robert McMillan
  • robertmc09
    Options
    Is anyone there??
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @robertmc09,
    Sorry to read about how hard things are for you at the moment.
    Our benefits advisors come on to the community about once a day. I'm sure you'll get a response from them very soon.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi robertmc09,

I'm also sorry to hear about the problems you have been having.

There may be some benefits that you can claim that are not affected by your wife's earnings, for example personal independence payment or benefits paid based on your national insurance contributions. You may also qualify for part help with rent or council tax even with your wife's earnings taken into account.

So I think you need a full benefit check to see what help you can get. The best people to ring are Macmillan Cancer Support on 0808 808 0000. The helpline is open Monday - Friday 9 - 8 pm. They will be able to do a full benefit check, help you fill out any forms and also see if there are any other grants or payments you may be eligible for.

Good luck and do post back if you have any other queries.

Best wishes,

Michael

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.