Hi, my name is MJP! — Scope | Disability forum

Hi, my name is MJP!

MJP Member Posts: 1 Listener
My dear father died very recently leaving my mum of 91yrs to carry on with the household jobs and chores. She is housebound and cannot get out to do shopping or the specialist jobs. I am also 70yrs old and feel terrible that I can't give her 100% to help her. 
Can you tell me if she can claim a benefit to help pay people to do these jobs. I do what I can for her but travelling to her and doing jobs that I am not specialised in is of no benefit to either of us...I would be most grateful for good advice
Thank you 


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering

    Hi MJP,

    I'm very sorry to hear about your father.

    Your Mum might be eligible for a benefit called attendance allowance which is paid to people aged over 65 who need help with personal care or someone to keep an eye on them so they don't get into danger.

    It doesn't take into account help your Mum needs with household jobs and chores though. It would take into account problems your Mum might have with washing, dressing, getting to the toilet, eating, drinking or taking medication. Even if she can do these things but it takes a long time or causes pain then that would count.

    Attendance allowance isn't affected by any other income or savings your Mum has and if awarded she can spend it on whatever she wishes.

    If you contact your local Age UK branch they will be able to send someone to visit your Mum and help fill out an application form. They will also check if there are any other benefits your Mum is eligible for, such as pension credit, housing benefit or council tax support.

    Please post back if you have any other questions.

    Best wishes,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,674 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MJP I just wondered how you and your mum are getting on?
    Senior online community officer


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.