What are the benefits of an ASD diagnosis as an adult? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are the benefits of an ASD diagnosis as an adult?

SuzR
SuzR Community member Posts: 3 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, I'm Violet, ask me questions about ASD.

Comments

• SuzR
    What are the benefits of an ASD assessment, for mature adults?
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    @Ariel thankyou very much for sharing your story and experiences with the community, I'm sure it will be of benefit to others.
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    That's a really good point about accommodations, @Ariel - I've done the same as you and basically decided to be upfront about not being able to cope with phone calls. I can't get away with them entirely (as a freelance writer I sometimes have no option but to interview someone over the phone), but I feel so much better for just telling people!
  • Ariel
    Ariel Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    @VioletFenn - My apologies, I have just discovered that there's an 'Ask an advisor' section, and that this question is in it. I hadn't realised there was a specific section for answers from advisors, oops!
  • MrsLogic
    MrsLogic Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    I don't regret getting a diagnosis at the age of 39 - it's helped me understand myself so much better than before.
    Jo, aka 'Mrs Logic'
    <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://faspie.blogspot.co.uk/">http://faspie.blogspot.co.uk/</a>

• VioletFenn
    Ahahaha, no worries at all, @Ariel ;)

• davidj49
    davidj49 Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    SuzR said:
    What are the benefits of an ASD assessment, for mature adults?
    The benefit is that it explains everything. Why life maybe hasn't  gone to plan, why jobs are difficult to hold on to, and why friendships are so awkward, why you may prefer to be on your own at times when others love to be around friends and strangers.Why eating is a ritual and phones ringing are the stuff of nightmares.

An Autism assessment is a Godsend.
  • SuzR
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the answers.
  • garyk
    garyk Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    SuzR said:
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, I'm Violet, ask me questions about ASD.
    Hi Violet.What type of questions would I be asked at my diagnosis ?
  • VioletFenn
    Hi @garyk

NAS answer this far more clearly than I ever could - you can find loads of information about what's involved with assessment here

All I can say from personal experience is that it helps to keep notes beforehand of anything you think of - things that affect your day to day life, etc - because if you're anything like me your mind will go blank the second you're asked! Good luck.
  • davidj49
    But what questions were you asked in your assessment?
  • garyk
    garyk Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Thank u to Everyone that commented , helping me re ASD Diagnosis & a bit of theory.
  • davidj49
    I had my assessment 5 years ago.
  • davidj49
    garyk said:
    Thank u to Everyone that commented , helping me re ASD Diagnosis & a bit of theory.

Questions about making friends growing up, pretend play, holding down jobs, about taking things literally, set routines,  sensory issues(cold floor, wet sand) struggling in school,theory of mind etc........ many many many questions.

Brightness