Assessment guidelines — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment guidelines

Ironside50
Ironside50 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I was looking last night at the guidelines that the health profession uses when in a face to face assessment now I found in the guidelines that in some cases its a waste of time going to a face to face as the condition has no chance of getting better therefor if a face to face was issued it should be canceled ,.now theres 2 main things and if some one can get hold of the assesses guidelines ,maybe you can tell me if I fit the I have my face to face cancelled.
the terminal illness is one of those that a face to face would not be beneficial ,the other is a chronic heart condition,.this has made it clear to me that no one at dwp or capita have red my reports if they had then I'm sure id  not have the stress of going next week.
in my report from my doctor I have a chronic heart disease called ishomatic heart disease ,it where part of the heart the blood dont get to so when I get stressed or over excited the heart pumps over time to pump the sluggish blood flow this then causes the  severe pain in my chest and under my chin,
need help please ,do I ring capita up and tell them they have over looked this ?
thanks 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ironside50

The CAB say:

"Unless you have a terminal illness you’ll usually have to have an assessment to complete your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) application. 
    You must go to your assessment otherwise your PIP claim will be rejected and you’ll have to start the application process all over again."

If you are concerned then perhaps you should call them, but don't just not turn up as this could mean your claim is rejected.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    The DWP guidelines do state, in effect, that there is no necessity for face to faces for certain conditions, e.g. degenerative ones.  However, in practice, as the CAB says, everyone except the terminally ill has to have a face to face.

In many ways the guidelines are a work of fiction as assessors don't follow most of them. and the DWP don't expect them to despite what the guidelines say!
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi Ironside50 

In answer to your question I think it is certainly worth telephoning Capita and explaining to them the difficulties attending a face to face assessment will cause you. You can also ask them to write to your GP or any other health care professionals you see in connection with your health problems in the hope that this could produce sufficient evidence and rule out you needing to have an assessment. 

It is always worth referring them to what their guidelines say. If you're not confident on the phone there is a contact option on the Capita website so you can put your concerns in writing. The link for that is here.

The worst they can say is that you still need to attend but in my opinion it's certainly worth a try.

Good luck

Best wishes

Paul

The Benefits Training Co:

• Ironside50
    Ironside50 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Sam_Scope said:
    Hi @Ironside50

The CAB say:

"Unless you have a terminal illness you’ll usually have to have an assessment to complete your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) application. 
    You must go to your assessment otherwise your PIP claim will be rejected and you’ll have to start the application process all over again."

If you are concerned then perhaps you should call them, but don't just not turn up as this could mean your claim is rejected.

Well this afternoon I had to go to the assessment for pip ..
    i was alarmed at the lack of professionalism from the assessors .,
    now my letter said the hp would be an experienced Healh profession , if she was 22 I'd be guessing ., she never looks away from the screen very much 
    One assessor left a consulting room with the laptop on previous clients screen  and I could see what was on the. Screen , my assessor had no id on show , what I did not like was I told the assessor  I'm in a lot of pain so Isit possible not to get out my wheel chair she said I had too!!! I use crutches around my home , so I was made to get up my wife had to struggle I lost balance and she told me to sit down .my wife had more of my papers than the assessor ! I just don't see 
      how an experienced Healh profession from a disability background , don't fill you with confidence when they come out and look like they just come from 
    School !
    I should know in 4weeks thanks so much for you have guided me thru it 

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Ironside50

You might like to consider making a complaint about the way your health assessment was conducted. Although this won't necessarily change the outcome it will clearly register your grievance and is something you might want to refer back to later in the decision making process. You can make your complaint here via the Capita website.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.