Legal Right — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Legal Right

salwil89
salwil89 Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
Good Morning.  I don't wish this issue to become ugly despite the discussion title I have assigned to my message.

The purpose of my enquiry is to find out if, by law, I should be self-supporting even if I incurred a medical condition through no fault of my own.  I have been self-supporting for almost eight years except for 18 months when I claimed ESA and housing benefit.

I acquired a condition called Cauda Equina which was not diagnosed by the medical team here in London.  Due to the onset of increasing paraplegia and the inability to walk independently, I landed up leaving London and had an emergency back operation without medical cover.

Under these circumstances am I really expected to support myself.  The medical condition I incurred is through no fault of my own. At the time of my operation, I had to have my L4 back disc removed (as part of this diagnosis) to avoid a right foot amputation due to severe lack of circulation to this foot as well as a lifetime of paralysis.

I can understand having to support myself if I had deliberately attempted to hurt myself in some way which would have resulted in medical attention. But I have not! I simply worked and lived here in London like everyone else yet landed up with condition.

Your advice on this would be highly appreciated.

With thanks.

Comments

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.