Attendance allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Attendance allowance

Options
sue68
sue68 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My husband gets DLA at middle rate, I am his carer but don't get any money because of my pension, can he apply for attendance allowance

Comments

• bubbly
    bubbly Scope Volunteer Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    If he is on dla before he is 65 I think he stays on that or pip rather than getting AA
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi sue68

If your husband was 65 or over on 8 April 2013 then he will be able to continue getting DLA all the time he meets the qualifying conditions. If he was under 65 on 8 April 2013 then he will be invited to claim Personal Independence Payment some time between now and the end of this year. In a small number of cases it may be advisable to claim Attendance Allowance at that point rather than PIP but it is unlikely to be a good idea.

As far as your Carer's Allowance is concerned it sounds as if you have what we call an underlying entitlement. It means the benefit can't be paid because of another earnings replacement benefit almost certainly the State Pension. But it still gives you "carer status" which can be worth up to £34.60 per week in other benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. These benefits are means tested though and depend on your level of other income/capital. I suggest you do your own calculation here on the entitledto website and consider making a claim if it shows a possible entitlement.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.