How long do appeals take? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long do appeals take?

Options
alana65
alana65 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi i was awarded high rate mobility in june 2014 but in june 2016 they lowered it when talking to my doctor she advised me to appeal to which i did i received a letter saying they had received my appeal i am now waiting to hear it has been 3 months could you give me some idea of how long it takes

Comments

• leeleeharris82
    leeleeharris82 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    My appeal as been 11 months waiting list,I've been hospital for scan, for mental and physical checks, then I'm told they both meet with my doctors also, but I believe it all depends on what checks they need and what area you from, so I'm told  mate, sorry if I'm told wrong lol

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi alana65,

3 months is not an unusual length of time to wait I'm afraid. Is this definitely the appeal, or is it the request for a mandatory reconsideration?

if it is a request for the DWP to look at the decision again (a mandatory reconsideration), then you could consider using the DWP complaints procedure.

If you got a mandatory reconsideration notice from the DWP, and then appealed to an independent tribunal, I'm sorry but the wait isn't unusual. However, you could consider complaining about this to the tribunal service (bear in mind that DLA and ESA appeals are up in numbers, so this does cause delays). 

I know it is not much comfort but if the decision is changed in your favour, you will get arrears of benefit. It may also be worth telling your MP what has happened and asking for their help, especially if you have lost a Motability vehicle because of the drop in your PIP.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.