Would husbands market stall affect my benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would husbands market stall affect my benefits?

josiecat1916
josiecat1916 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi just a quick question.  I receive Esa support group and Pip enhanced care and enhanced mobility, my husband is on my claim as he was refused a benefit in his own right as he wasn't sick enough!!! My question is he is thinking of running a small market stall it's 16hours per week and he would be self employed.. how much would it affect my benefit? I also receive housing benefit and I pay low council tax.  Would be grateful if you could advise please he's been to citizens advise and they can't help him  TIA..

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi josiecat1916,

I'm assuming when you say your husband is on your claim that you are getting at least some income-related ESA. If so, then yes his earnings (that is, his profit from the stall) would affect your ESA. You would get to keep the first £20 of the earnings, and the rest would come off your ESA.

As long as you are still getting some income-related  ESA, then you would still get the same amount of housing benefit and help with your council tax.

There are benefit calculators online but as you may not know how much profit he will make from a market stall it's good to understand how ESA works. I hope this helps.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• josiecat1916
    josiecat1916 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your help Will.  I think I understand?. He just wants to try and do something to get him out of the house . He is on my Esa but we don't know how much...
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Josiecat1916

As Will says most of any earnings/profits will reduce your income related Employment and Support Allowance. It's difficult if you don't know how much he'll be earning.

David 
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.