What financial assistance am i entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What financial assistance am i entitled to?

Options
SethLaa
SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous

Hello all,my first but probably not my last post haha,hopefully i can make this post as short as possible. It appears that although i am still employed i am soon to be medically retired on the grounds that i simply cannot work anymore thanks to my progressive disability (ms), my employer has actually barred me from returning to my normal place of work and have therefore had to claim ssp for the last 5 months ish.

I have had a look on such websites as ''turn2us'' but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

My current situation is thus:-

I own my home outright with no mortgage,

My fully employed 21 year old son lives with me,

I currently have savings circa £5500,

I currently receive hrm+mrc of dla but am aware of the transition to pip,

I receive a ''1 band'' reduction in my council tax due to my bathroom having to be adapted from bath to shower room (omg not cheap haha),

I have looked at various ''job'' websites but cannot find anything suitable as i am virtually unable to walk needing a mobility scooter (chuckle chariot) or crutches (chuckle chopsticks) for even the shortest  of distances.

Is anybody able to help me find out what financial assistance i may be entitled to.

Thank you so much for your time and patience

From sethlaa (actually it's russell)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi SethLaa

Thanks for your post.

It's likely that you will be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) when your Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) comes to an end after 28 weeks of payment. Based on the information you've given it's likely to be £125.05 per week in the long run, in addition to your Disability Living Allowance. For the first 13 weeks of your claim it is likely to be only £88.85 per week.

If there is a chance you won't be moving into alternative work at the end of your SSP period then i suggest you make an advance claim to ESA soon (see the government website here for how to do this). That way you won't have a gap in entitlement. If they ask you whether you want to claim just contributory ESA or both contributory and income related ESA - say both!

Once you have claimed ESA you will be able to either move back into full time work or perhaps permitted work. This is a good option for people on ESA as the earnings do not affect your benefit. You must be careful to work within the permitted work limits though and you can find out more about this here on the disability rights UK website. From April there will be no limit to the length of time people can do permitted work.

I hope that helps.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• SethLaa
    SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
    Options
    HI ALL THANKS FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE BUT ITS NO LONGER REQUIRED, I GOT A LETTER FROM MY EMPLOYER THIS MORNING TELLIN ME THAT I AM NOW MEDICALLY RETIRED SO I WILL FIND OUT VERY SOON WHAT SCRAPS I WILL GET FROM DWP, ONCE AGAIN MANY THANKS

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.