Hi, my name is Mullen! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Mullen!

Mullen
Mullen Community member Posts: 6 Listener

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @Mullen

Welcome to the community. 

• Mullen
    Can you help me with disability I have put in for it but told no then I appealed and went before a panel to me they just didn't want to now one lady on the panel said you can cook I said I have never been aloud to go any where near a cooker because of my epilepsy and then she said well you can meal and cook how so I was turned down that was a long time ago 
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @Mullen

Was it PIP that you applied for?

You are allowed to reapply at anytime, although if nothing has changed you might not get a different decision.

Did you have any support to fill in the forms and at the appeal? It can be hard to describe/demonstrate your situation sometimes, so the more support you can get the better.

You could also check to see if there are any other benefits you might be eligible for: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check

• Mullen
    No I did not 
  • Mullen
    When I applied years ago it wasn't called pip well I don't think it eas
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mullen did you try applying for PIP? Do you need any more information?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Mullen
  • Mullen
    No I did not and yes please
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Ok @Mullen so first of all you might like to fill out the benefits calculator to access independent information and see what benefits you may be entitled to and check that PIP is the correct thing for you to apply for.

If you are going to apply to PIP, there is lots of information here and here.  To start a claim for PIP, telephone the DWP on 0800 917 2222. You will need the following information ready before calling the DWP:

• your full name, address and telephone number;

• your National Insurance number;

• your date of birth;

• your bank or building society account details;

• details of your GP and any other health professionals who support you;

• details of any recent stays in hospital or care homes;

• your nationality or immigration status; and

• details of time spent abroad if you have been abroad for more than four weeks at a
    time over the last three years.

The call should take about 15 minutes. If you satisfy the basic qualifying conditions for PIP, they will send
    you a How your disability affects you (PIP2) form to fill in.

This is quite a lengthy form and can be a little daunting, there is a step by step guide to filling in the form by CAB here, it is really handy to read through question by question.

If you have any other questions, then do ask here.  So many of our members have been through the PIP process and are happy to share their experiences with you.

Best of luck!

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.