Preparing a meal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Preparing a meal

johnny100
johnny100 Community member Posts: 125 Pioneering
I have pinch grip which makes it difficult for me to prepare meals.I have my wifes assistance to help me prepare food.It OK preparing it but my wife puts in into the pans etc then I wait till its cooked and my wifes serves it.I am banished from the kitchen due to having dizzy spells and the risk factors etc.I have been advised that risk factors are taken into account when giving points.There is no mention at all in my award any risk factor.My awrd was 2 point should I not get 4 points for having assistance    

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi johnny100

If you need supervision or assistance to either prepare or cook a simple meal then it should be a 4 point score rather than 2. See page 32 of the Disability Rights UK factsheet here for more information.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions do let us know.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• johnny100
    i have written my last leeter to Personal Independance Wolverhamptom.I keep mentioning supervision,assistance for my preparing meals.They keep missing out on all correspondance these words.I dont think they see these words at all,This word is never seen,
    In 2009 I had prostate cancer with 37 sessions of Radio Therapy,its a long time ago but my bowels have been seriously affected up to this day,It causes incontinance and the urge to get to the toilet,in many cases it too late.I am also diabetic and also have leakage.They do not understand that you have to go through the undressing and dressing again.I have stated in my letter that if my points are not improved then I have no other option but to go to tribunal.Im sure the panel of experts will pull ATOS apart.I have a leeter from my GP on this matter     
  • kenny
    kenny Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Hi johnny I too had trouble about preparing a meal I am confined to a wheelchair due to cerebral palsy, but apparently it doesn't matter how many illnesses you may have, all they take into consideration is what you can do for yourself, I too only scored two points for meal preparation.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    It's a good idea to describe in as much detail as possible how difficult it is to prepare a simple meal, aids you have to use (e.g. adapted peeler) and, for example, if you have to give up because you've cut yourself.  Also, describe step by step in a diary how you go about preparing a meal.  Disability Rights PIP section has a draft diary which you can adapt.

Even though I followed DR's guidance, I was only awarded 2 points for meal preparation.  My claim was that I should count as not being able to prepare a meal at all (8 points) because on bad days, the majority, I couldn't complete the task of preparing veg.  This criterion forms part of my appeal.
  • johnny100
    I agree with you.My wife assists me at al stages of food prep is also my argument.It states on the PIP form the word supervision,assistance,help which quotes 4 points and not 2.I think that the assessors think you live on your own,I keep writing to the DWP/ atos about this and I never get a straight answer.For my self that assistance/help/supervision applies to most of the questions yet I too only scored 2 points.What I cannot get them to answer is,when the food is prepared who cooks it,serves it,not myself as I have dizzy spells and my wife has banished me from the kitchen for my own safety(burn/scalds etc)they seem to ignore this question as well. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you appealed to a tribunal, johnny?
  • johnny100
    not yet Matilda.I have sent a number of letters,my final date for submission is 4th april 17.They think that if you struggle then 2 point is enough.I keep repeating mysely time and time again that if you ge help in any way  the min is 4 points,however people on this forum say they only got 2 points,if this is so its wrong.This applies to all the questions if you get help in any way at all the points should reflect it.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi johnny100,

If after you've submitted all the evidence you can think of the decision isn't changed then do consider going further, to a tribunal.

As you may have read, to be able to do something you have to be able to do it:
    safely;
    to an acceptable standard;
    repeatedly (though arguably you don't have to prepare a fresh meal more than once a day);
    within a reasonable time period.

So if you need supervision in the kitchen, to avoid risk, you should get at least 4 points, as you say. 

If you have the assessor's report it's worth stating exactly where it is incorrect and giving as much evidence as you can which contradicts what they said. Consider a complaint about ATOS as well, if you think the assessment didn't give an accurate reflection of your problems.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• johnny100
    I have been through the PIP points system and every point awarded is wrong in my eyes.I have spelt this out in letters and I have even gone as far to say to the decision maker about my back problem.He said that my back problem is severe according to the consultants notes,what on earth does he know about my back and my robotic walking,he then goes on to say yes we know you have problems etc etc,yet only got the minimum points.It appears from the decision makers letters I have received  just seem to write what they want..To myself the assessors think they are someone speccial like a doctor etc,they are not.Dont let these decision makers put you off. ,thats what they try to do ,drive you into the ground pure intimidation

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.