Depression and anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Depression and anxiety

Options
Charlottewaring9
Charlottewaring9 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hi Im charlotte i have depression and anxiety how can you try not to worry to much and not to think really bad thoughts when your feeling low?

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Charlotte, we'll actually be putting out a mental health tips page in the next few days which may be useful, so keep an eye on the announced posts in the community. In the meantime, you might like to take a look at this guide and worksheet on depression, and this one on anxiety, from Moodjuice, which I believe is an NHS initiative. If you have been feeling like this for some time and have not previously done so, I would also recommend that you contact your GP to see what help may be available in your area. Hope this helps.
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Charlottewaring9 ,

It's easy to get swept along by such feelings. The best thing to do is to take a mental step back and see the full picture.

You need to find someone to confide in even if they are an online friend. Weigh up all your positives and all the things you have always wanted to do.

Set yourself little goals and if you reach them tell yourself you can achieve. Give yourself a little treat perhaps. Then reach a little further next time.

Yes there are some bad things in life that will always be there. Accept them and then dismiss them.

Challenge yourself; do you want life to dictate who you are or will you be the person you want to be no matter what?

Often there is a genuine and reasonable cause that brings the darkness but it doesn't have to take over if you won't let it.

There is always the GP if things are really bad. Hopefully they would offer more than just pharmaceutical help.
  • Charlottewaring9
    Charlottewaring9 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    Yeah i have to take tablets but my depression got worse and i asked for a higher dosage but i still get bad thoughts to end my life how do you stop thinking that most of the time.
  • bendigedig
    bendigedig Community member Posts: 254 Pioneering
    Options
    @Charlottewaring9
    I know the feelings that you have mentioned in your last post.
    I dont know what to say other than I was feeling like that for years.
    Barely getting out of bed.  Letting my personal hygeine go.  Just not living.
    I attempted suicide twice.  Depression and anxiety are crippling.
    Thankfully I was probably too drunk to get it right on both occasions.
    I was on SRI medication of various kinds for years.  Tried various types of therapy.
    One day I just decided to stop taking the pills (not recomended at all!!), I also stopped drinking alcohol.
    Things have been a lot better since then.  It isnt just stopping alcohol, it isnt just feeling better for being off the pills.  Its a combination of things...  Im still not at my best.   Its trying to get better that matters and not being hard on yourself.  Taking little steps.
    Im trying to get my life back now.
    Getting out, no matter how difficult it is really helps....  It doesnt matter how hard getting out and about is... Unless you have a very particular problem with it.  I think its crucial to breaking sedentary negative thinking.  Part of what made me get worse and worse was a total reluctance to leave the house and engage with people.
    When I finally forced myself back into the world the experience was awful but it has been getting easier and easier.
    I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in having thoughts and feelings like this.  It is possible to get control, it just takes a lot of time, effort and will.  I know that this seems impossible but I think that just making an effort to do anything positive is a start.  No matter how small, it can move you forward incrementally.
    I cant give you any advice because everybodies situation is unique.
    I would recomend though that you dont give in... Trying everything including counselling etc. If you can get it.  A lot of GPs can prescribe this but it depends where you are in the country.  Be careful with counselling though, make sure they are apropriately qualified for your needs.
    Time passes and things change...  With effort, support and a bit of good luck hopefully they change for the better :)
    If you can, and it helps, talk to people about how you feel.  Try not to be ashamed or self consious about what you are going through.  Some may not be equipped to help you in any way.  Others though will want to support and help you.
    Keep on keeping on :)

• bendigedig
    bendigedig Community member Posts: 254 Pioneering
    Options
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Good morning @ClaireK1 good to meet you, i hope you are well this lovely Sunday morning.
    Bless sounds like you have a lot going on in the back ground, with your Dads divorce. Hows your Dad coping with it all darling ? 
    Also so sorry you feel let down by the NHS, have you been able to go back to your own Doctor and speak about this ?
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That comment was soooo lovely @Pam i am always saying this group is fantastic and Pam is so right @ClaireK1 we all have our times when we have to moan/rant/cry/and need a friend and that's what the members of this group are soooo good at - it's like we are all friends x

Brightness