Does daily living component change if I live independently from my parent — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does daily living component change if I live independently from my parent

clairsmith
clairsmith Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I am currently living with my mother I am a below knee Amputee and currently get the daily living component at standard rate.
i am 24 yrs old and have been offered a bungalow with a wet room to help me as my parents house has stairs 
as I am using an appliance and aids in daily life will my move affect my daily living component 
thanks for reading 

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    According to the rules, no but reality can be different.
    The rules say "describe the assistance you need whether you get it or not."

Just as the condition that causes disability is irrelevant, so is any help you might get.

However, as I found out, they might say "If you aren't getting help then you obviously don't need any." Presumably they choose to believe that if you haven't died of starvation then you can feed yourself.

Logically, if you move out then your needs will increase.

The point is they might try it on and you might have to fight them. You would win though.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    You haven't said whether your parents or anyone else calls in to help you. This would have to be 35 hrs a week if possible for carer's allowance which would top up any PIP you lose as a family by moving out. Just a thought...
  • clairsmith
    clairsmith Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I'm just scared that if I move then the pip will think I am more independent although I still need an appliance (prosthetic leg) to do anything and although I won't have to tackle stairs anymore the assessor will think I am more able and stop my daily component which means I won't be able to move as I won't have the money to run my own place
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    The DWP might do that even when there is nothing they could question. I live alone and rightly get enhanced DLC. I had to fight for it though.

Doesn't the "I" in PIP mean independence after all?
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    It shouldn't make any difference. Although, part of the reason why I failed was because I said I visited my parents once a week. Yes, a 15 minute bus ride away...

i moved out out when it was DLA. No one questioned it and my money stayed the same.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Hi @clairesmith, I would check your last decision letter and see what points they awarded you before when you got the standard rate. I got the standard rate for only needing aids with NO help from anyone so see if just using aids will still apply without anyone's help. Still stress what help you need that you don't get if you do a supersession which is a change of circumstances. You should still get the aids points for washing /showering, if there are rails and a seat in the shower room. Toileting as well if there's a rail to pull yourself up. So that would be 6 points I think, only 2 more  needed for standard rate. I got 2 for needing an aid in the kitchen which is only a perching bar stool. You don't mention mobility which should apply with your mobility problems. After checking all this work out how much you will need to help you have your own home. Look at getting more evidence from wherever you can to support how you will be affected by your disability in the new home. Good luck, hope you make the move.  
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    You have to remember that the help you need has to be reasonable. So, part of the reason why I receive PIP is because I need help getting dressed. I live alone. Ok, I can dress myself. But it takes me longer than a non-disabled person because of how I struggle to do buttons up, etc. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi clairsmith,

As everyone has said, your move shouldn't affect your PIP. People do get reassessed as we know, but the number of points you get is based on lots of things, as other forum users have explained - you get points for using aids and appliances, and you get points because things take you longer than other people, or because it may not be safe for you to do things by yourself (even if, in practice, you do).

As others have pointed out, it isn't about whether you actually get help in practice, but about what you need. And your move doesn't change any of the things you can or cannot do. For example, you didn't get points for washing and bathing because your parents' bathroom was upstairs, you get them because of safety issues whilst washing, or because you need assistance to wash or get into/out of the bath/shower. The fact that you now have a wet room doesn't change the fact that you might need help to get in or out of a normal bath or shower, for example. 

Hope this helps.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.