Can DWP award only 1 point for a descriptor? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can DWP award only 1 point for a descriptor?

Options
Matilda
Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
DWP awarded me only 1 point for using a toilet aid (on bad days I have to lean on wash basin to pull myself up).  Were they correct to award me only 1 point as I thought that the minimum for any descriptor was 2 points?

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    That doesn't sound right. You can only get one point if you need an aid for taking medication. Whereas with everything else, it's at least 2. Phone up and enquire that.
  • Matilda
    Options
    Possibly, must check the papers.  It may be that I got 2 for toilet aids and 1 for aids to take medication.  But nevertheless, I thought that 2 was the minimum for any descriptor?  And another member has said that she was awarded only 1 point for using a toilet aids.

So, is it correct that DWP can award only 1 point for aids to take medication?
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Matilda Managing Therapy or Monitoring a health condition is the only one you can score 1 for according to Benefit and Works Points list. I couldn't see where Nannydebbie said she only got 1 point for toileting. She scored 6 for DL so would have had to score 1 on something else as well. You shouldn't need to appeal just tell DWP they got it wrong.
  • Matilda
    Options
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    You're welcome. Hope you can get it changed. I think you said you were appealing mobility as well? Anyhow good luck whatever you decide to do.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Matilda,

Sorry for the delay in responding. The forum has been very busy! You've got the right advice though. 2 is the minimum number of points you can get for toileting. And as wildfire explains, only managing therapy/monitoring a health condition has a 1 point descriptor.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Matilda
    Options
    Thank you, Will.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.