DWP problems because of move — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP problems because of move

Options
mandysc
mandysc Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My son did not receive a letter asking him to go for assessment as he had moved address. DWP informed on two occasions of new address still they sent appeal notice to wrong address. They refused the initial good cause reason stating they wouldn't accept he had moved and told them despite them being told a second time they still sent correspondence to wrong address. He has not had any esa since end of December 2016 despite being signed unfit for work by go due to learning disability. Can anyone advise me what to do? Please.

Comments

• mandysc
    mandysc Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Sorry that should have been GP.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @mandysc

Welcome to the community. I've moved your post into the "ask a benefits advisor" category, so you can get some expert advice on this.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @mandysc, This is a classic problem with any communication with gov. dpts. The only way round it is to keep a record of all communication so that proof can be shown to them if needed at a later date. For all phone calls you can ask the name of who you're talking to and check the date and time of the call. Ask them if they've put the info. you're telling them on the claimants records and write down what was said. Letters can be sent recorded delivery or you can get a receipt from the post office and keep a copy of the letter yourself. I type all letters on word so it's easy to save them. In this case I would complain officially with a letter and ask for your son's records to be checked for the new address and if found, which it should be, they should own up to their mistake and sort his benefit out. Tell them also that you've contacted your MP even if you haven't and will take the matter further if they don't sort it out a.s.a.p. I'm only a forum member but have had a lot of experience of helping family with benefit problems for many years. Hope that helps. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi mandysc,

1) it sounds as if you have got a mandatory reconsideration notice (MR notice) from the DWP saying they don't agree with your son's good reasons for not attending the medical. If that's the case, you need to appeal. You do this by completing the appeal form and sending it off with the MR notice, within one month. So if you haven't done this, please do it as soon as you can - if you are late, explain why as the tribunal may be able to accept a late appeal

2) complain about the DWP's failure to use the correct address, particularly as it has led directly to your son losing money. Contact your MP because they will be interested in this terrible service from the DWP and may be able to help you with the complaint and appeal process.

I really hope that you are in time to appeal because otherwise there are strict rules which mean if your son reclaimed ESA he wouldn't get it whilst he was waiting for the assessment date (unless the claim was made more than six months since the original decision that he'd failed to attend). So if possible, it's better to keep the original claim 'alive' by appealing. I hope that helps.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.