How long to hear from PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long to hear from PIP?

jeana1
jeana1 Community member Posts: 38 Connected
edited April 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone...Ive just joined the Community! 
Ive been on dla for many years due to my various health problems...I was sent a Pip form abt 3mnths ago which i sent off nxt day...Ive not heard anything since..except for a text to say theyve recieved it...How long does it usually take to decide what happens next? I really worried now..
Thanks for any help or advice ..J x

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jeana1 welcome to the community, Ive moved your post to the DLA and PIP category.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Three months sounds a long time - I heard from Atos after a few weeks.  You could phone DWP and ask what's happening.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    The contact info for ongoing claims is 0345 850 3322 

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Robs
    Robs Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    edited April 2017
    Three months is getting to be about the maximum time for a response.

I had been on a DLA indefinite award and was invited to apply for PIP in December 2016. I received my PIP award in March 17. I don't know why they take so long as in my case l was not required to be interviewed, l received the highest rate award for both components of PIP scoring 48 points. I received a letter advising the above and that they would contact me again not before July 2026. It is a very worrying time, but at least they continue to pay you DLA during the process.

As Sam has given you the phone number, l suggest you ring them, if you do not get a satisfactory answer or they don't bother to answer your call at all, ring the office of your MP and ask the case worker to ring them, MP's case workers have dedicated phone lines and can demand that your claim is put in front of a decision maker immediately.

Of course being disabled automatically puts you to the back of DWP's list of priorities, because this government doesn't care about the disabled population, l am afraid to say.

I hope you receive the outcome you are hoping for.

Regards Rob

• jeana1
    Thankyou so much everyone for your help...yes im disabled so obviously theyre not that bothered..
    Isnt it awful what ppl like us have to go through? Ive been on dla for years..also as luck would have it I recieved a new entitlement letter to dla ..ongoing..the same day I got my pip forms!! Im nearly 68yrs old and was told i didnt need to apply for pip as its age limit was 64? Seems thats wrong info..?? 
    Thanks for any further help or advice..so kind of you all x
  • Matilda
    edited April 2017
    Anyone under 65 on 8 April 2013 has to claim PIP when notified by DWP.  I was one such.  It is grossly unfair as many people will be well over 64 when they get their PIP forms.  A fairer way would be for people to stay on DLA if they are over 65 when their case comes up for reassessment for PIP - but this is not going to happen.

This evil Government is against anyone claiming benefits, not just the disabled.  They can get away with it because benefit claimants, except for pensioners, do not vote in large numbers.

PS.  On Facebook I have heard the Prime Minister referred to as 'Satan in the shoes!'  
  • jeana1
    Agree...she is !!
  • jeana1
    Hi Matilda...thanks for your reply...yes you're so right this Govt is against all who are claiming benefits! I looked up the info that you said about being under 64 etc... I think I may have to claim to Attendance allowance instead ? Tho I need a mobility component to enable me to get another car as I can't walk hardly..and I live in a remote area...so can't even walk to any shops etc .have to see how it goes ...il keep you updated...Cheers J x
  • Matilda
    Hi jeana1.  For a mobility component you'll have to claim PIP.
  • WheelyRachel
    WheelyRachel Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
    @jeana1
    if you previously had DLA then you should still be intitel to PIP . So please try to reapply.
    as once you got DLA you had it for life. though PIP is now going to have regular review assessments.
  • jeana1
    Thanks W/ Rachel..I'm going to ring them today to find out what's happening ...let you know...
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    i had the letter to apply for PIP from DLA last year, i was 66 i think?  i was born 1949
  • jeana1
    Hi have u been sorted yet? Yes i was born in 1949 too! Seems we just missed out on the age thing with dla...really cant see the logic of it..after 60 i think were all in the same boat getting older..! Hope u got your pip ok...im still waiting...
    Good luck! J ps..im 68 in june..
  • jeana1
    Hi just an update...I rang Pip today & Im to have a home visit soon!! Date not clarified yet...but hope its asap......but at least its a step forward for me..
  • Robs
    edited April 2017
    If you are already getting DLA and was born before 1952 you should not have to re-apply. I was born in 1952, so they picked me out last December. It was okay, l didn't require to have a visit and was awarded the highest rate PIP of both components. Mind you my MP completed my forms and sorted my claim for me. I have said it before, but will say it again, if you are not happy with having to re-apply ask your MP to help, they have case workers.
  • Matilda
    The cut-off date is 8 April 2013.  Over 65 on 8 April 2013, you stay on DLA; under 65 on 8 April 2013 you have to apply for PIP when the DWP tell you to.

Thank you for the advice about asking your MP to help.  Too late for me - I am now awaiting a tribunal hearing date.  But if I have further problems with PIP I'll contact my MP.
  • nanof6
    yes jean i started last march with the phone call, then had my first payment ofPIP end of sep high rate for both, jean when did you have to phone?  it might be quicker this year 
  • nanof6
    rob i had to, i got the letter to phone them
  • Robs
    edited April 2017

2. Eligibility

I have just spoken to my MPs senior case worker and under DWP rules the following applies. So if you were 66 when you were contacted you should not have to re-apply.

section 2

You must be aged 16 to 64 and have a health condition or disability where you:

• have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months
    • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months (unless you’re terminally ill with less than 6 months to live)

You must have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years, and be in one of these countries when you apply. If you’ve recently returned from living in another EEA country, you might be able to get PIP sooner.

The process is different in Northern Ireland.

You can get PIP whether you’re working or not.

There are additional rules if you live abroad or if you’re not a British citizen.

Regards Rob

• Matilda
    I was 68 when DWP contacted me Aug 2016 and had to apply for PIP.  There are several members on here who were over 65 when contacted who had to apply for PIP (because we all were still under 65 on 8 April 2013).  

The rules you are quoting @Robs apply to new PIP claimants, not to those who were on DLA on 8 April 2013 and still under 65.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.