What can I do my husband has been taken into hospital — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What can I do my husband has been taken into hospital

Iresee
Iresee Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Over a week ago my husband and carer was taken into hospital, he is now waiting to be transferred to Preston but that may not happen for another week, then they have to find out his problem and hopefully cure him of it. I have sort of managed this last week, but I am struggling. I have CFS/ME, arthritis, anxiety issues, severe migraines and agrophobia. My neighbours have been very helpful putting my bins out for me, and my husbands daughter has visited my hubby in hospital and helped me when she could, but now I feel I need more. Can I get a social worker or do I have to go through my GP? What kind of help is out there for me?

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2017
    Hi @Iresee

Can you afford to pay for a temp, part-time carer from an agency?
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Hi@Iresee, It won't help you now but my husband is my carer and my son's and he belongs to CarerSupport. He has a card he carries with him that tell people who to contact and carer support send someone to help. Maybe in future he could see if there's a similar scheme in your area. In the meantime Adult Care at your local Social Services should be able to point you in the right direction for help. Hope you can get something sorted out soon...x  

• wildlife
    Have tried to post contact details for NW Preston area carer's support but it has to be approved. Hopefully help is on the way from them..x
  • wildlife
    edited April 2017
    ANY ADMIN AROUND this weekend? I tried to post contact details for CarerSupport which are available to the public online and it said they had to be approved by admin. Why when it's info. anyone can find online? This lady needs help..
  • wildlife
    @Iresee, How are you? Have you got any help yet? X
  • Iresee

Matilda said:

Hi @Iresee

Can you afford to pay for a temp, part-time carer from an agency?

• Iresee
    1. Hi Matilda I am not sure if we can, I'm having to buy ready meals as I can't stand for long to cook, so that is costing more than I'm happy to spend or budget for....I have no idea how much they cost do you?
  • Iresee
    Hi wildlife,
    thanks for posting. I got taken to see my hubby today.... panic attacks before I went but my hubbys daughter really looked after me. Now back home with my fur babies, but violently sick after I ate my Bisto ready meal...not the meal but my reaction to the "outing" it always gets me before or after. No help so far I guess I will have to wait until after May Day... I may have to contact my gp. Thank you for caring x
  • Matilda
    Hi @Iresee

Probably around £14 an hour with a minimum shift of two hours.  Not cheap.  Would depend on how many hours' help you would need.

Adult social services might be able to arrange for a home help which would be cheaper than using a private agency.  Your GP should be able to contact adult social services on your behalf.

At least you have your DIL to help.

Hope you get some more help soon.

Do you know how long your husband will be in hospital?

• Rebs10
    Rebs10 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi am really sorry to hear your going through a bad patch at the moment with you and your husbands health conditions.  I went through something similar in the past my husband went through a period of being in and out of  hospital with being a diabetic and having epilepsy, i have cp  and when he was well he was more able than me to do things around the house .  It was a very stressful time but  the hospital social worker was very helpful and sign posted us on to other organisations which were a great help especially our local carers centre who applied for money to pay for help for me maybe your step daughter could ask  the staff at the hospital to arrange an assessment for you.
  • wildlife
    Hi@Iresee  The number for Preston area carer support is 01772 651733. They might be able to help you or give advice where you can find emergency care. Hope you get help soon..X
  • Iresee
    Thank you all for your helpful answers, I will ring them tomorrow and hopefully will get some help soon. Hubby fell this morning so they have moved him to a bed by the nurses station...I am stressed out constantly which doesn't do my illness any good. Hubby was as fit as a flea up until this came on, the doctor thought it was PMR but that was proved wrong, then he got up from the chair and went down, his legs weren't functioning the ambulance came and he has been in there ever since...drugged up with morphine to ease the pain. He had an MRI on Friday but although the results have been there since Saturday the consultants haven't so tomorrow he will get to know if anything has shown up. We will see. Thanks again for your help.

• Matilda
    @Iresee

Hope your husband's diagnosis isn't serious.
  • helper
    helper Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Ask your  friends or  cab about  meals on  wheels hope you can get help  regarding this 
  • wildlife

Preston and District Carers Support Group

Region
    North West England
    Lancashire
    Address
    39 Leesand Close
    Fulwood
    Preston
    PR2 6GJ
    Contact details:
    Tel: 01772 651733
    Email: padcsg@gmail.com

Maybe these people can help x
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Sorry @wildlife - your posts triggered the spam filter. Your post is now published above. 

• wildlife
    edited May 2017
    @Alex Thanks. I just thought if that had happened to my hubby he has an emergency card with a number to ring and someone comes straight away to help. He is carer to my son who would no doubt go berserk if his Dad wasn't around and me. @Iresee how are things today? X
  • Iresee
    HisMRI revealed nothing but he is getting worse he said he can't reach out for things now when he could before! They are still waiting for a bed at Preston neurology
  • Matilda
    Hope it's just a temporary condition.
  • tsalt
    tsalt Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Iresee it maybe helpful to get a social Worker there's two ways to go about it one is to call your local social services and request a care assessment or get your go to do a referral. The hospital where your husband is also could have a team there . If I were in your position as i would cover all bases and contact them all . Hopefully this helps and things improve for yourself and your family soon xoxoxox 

Brightness