Hi, my name is sarahc2557! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is sarahc2557!

sarahc2557
sarahc2557 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi 
my son has just been seen by a education schologist what happens next

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sarahc2557 welcome to the community. 

Why has your son been seen by the educational psychologist? DO you want to tell us a little more and hopefully someone will be able to help.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • sarahc2557
    sarahc2557 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    hi
    The teachers wrote he is anxious and nervous child but I had concerns. When i talked to him I said I think he has aspergers so I filled in a questionnaire. The ES said will ask teachers to fill one in and have a talk with my son then get back in touch 
  • Sam_Alumni
    I have moved your post to the Ask an educational psychologist category so hopefully they will be able to help you out 
    Scope
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hi Sarah,
    The educational psychologist should have explained the process to you... if not then ask. You have a right to be kept informed as a parent.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Hi @sarahc2557 I found this information.
    The Educational Psychologist (EP) will produce a report giving an overview of your child's strengths and weaknesses. This can also give recommendations for teaching strategies or additional materials to be used with your child, or advice on suitable school types for your child.

The EP may also recommend a referral to other professionals such as a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist, optometrist or a paediatrician, as well as sources of help such as the child and family consultation services. Don't be unduly alarmed if this happens - the more information available, the better the help that can be obtained.

Schools have a legal duty to make reasonable adjustments for any additional needs a child has, and will only refuse the child if his or her needs go beyond their capability - and in that case, the school is not the right place for your child.

This assessment and the report will play a key role in obtaining an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC) which can compel a local authority to provide the necessary support, and it will be crucial should you need to mount a legal challenge regarding a school place or the provision being made in your school. 

For older children, the assessment will enable them to receive extra time/help in examinations if appropriate. It is therefore an important document and you should ensure you have a copy and keep it in a safe place. You should also give a copy to a new school or college as your child moves on.
    Scope

Brightness