mr still refused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

mr still refused

nannydebbie
nannydebbie Community member Posts: 41 Connected
i am so angry i called pip last week to ask why i wasn't givin the 2 points for using a commode said it was over looked had letter this morning still not changing it as stated even thou i use a commode to limit trips to toilet as it involved stairs mobilising to the toilet and using stairs are not considered for this activity still stated i dont use pads either just waiting on appeal papers now 

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @nannydebbie, So sorry you're still not getting what you're eligible for. Did you speak to an advisor last week or a Decision Maker? Do you feel able to ring again and book a call back from a Decision Maker. If you do this you should be able to discuss the part they're still getting wrong and maybe you won't have to go to Appeal. If you decide to wait good luck I really hope you get this sorted out.
  • nannydebbie
    edited April 2017
    @wildlife thanks for reply just been to drs told him my incontinence is getting worse also had a accident in my sleep so now he referring me for a scan and to see a incontinence nurse also im keeping all receipts when i by pads ectc x going to just go for appeal i think 

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nannydebbie there is lots of information about the appeal process here, I hope this will help you out.  
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi nannydebbie,

If you're relying on points for toilet needs/incontinence then I'd consider a couple of things. 

If the letter is correct in saying you use the commode to limit trips to the toilet because you have problems reaching the room where the toilet is, then I'm really sorry but that is correct and you don't get points for that (you'd get them in mobilising instead). The judge at the appeal is likely to watch against what they may see as 'double counting'. There's very clear case law that says that this activity can't look at how you get to the toilet, only things like getting on and off the toilet and cleaning yourself.

However, impaired mobility could of course also affect your ability to get on and off the toilet.

If you actually do have problems using the toilet when you get there, and/or you do use pads (I mean, if the letter is incorrect), then make sure that is clear in the evidence you send to the tribunal. 

If what has happened is your incontinence has got worse since the PIP decision, and you are now wearing pads but you weren't wearing them as much before, then you may need to claim PIP again. The reason for that is that the tribunal can only look at what your condition was like at the date of the original decision, not what it is like if has got worse since then.

Good luck!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• nannydebbie
    Thanks WILL the reason i have a commode in bedroom is that im up 2/3 times in night and struggle to go up and down the stairs that many times at night as bathroom down stairs 
  • dorothy1926
    dorothy1926 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi, I'm new to this site and I wish that I had been on it before. I have complex medical needs as my GP explained in her supporting letter. I have only known my present GP since last September. I have or was on an indefinite award of DLA high rate care and high rate mobility. Two days after Christmas I got a letter saying I had to apply for DLA. The result is standard care and only 4 points away from enhanced and enhanced mobility. I have only got until 12 April for a mandatory consideration and I don't want to risk loosing anymore. Awarded only until 2020 when I will be 71. The assessor was told at the home visit that a friend did my medication as I have overdosed on opioids before. My GP wants me now to have a box prepared by pharmacy. I got nil points for managing therapy. I got nil points for mixing with people despite having a long history of agoraphobia and social phobia. I gave DWP a letter from a Councellor saying they could contact her for information as I have last year had 34 sessions. DWP also said that my depression was under control. Totally wrong as I have had to see my GP every two weeks since September due to my state of mind. Assessor was told that I had thought about hanging myself from a tree two weeks before Christmas (someone from AGE UK was present at the assessment). I cannot ask my GP for anymore letters as she did a lengthy one for DWP. None of my multiple conditions will ever get better and at present am being investigated for thyroid and endocrine conditions. Sorry that this is such a long letter. The assessor put down that she was a nurse, no letters of qualifications. I was a nurse and always put down SRN.
  • johnny100
    johnny100 Community member Posts: 125 Pioneering
    I too had this problem with incontinance,I had prostate cancer in 2009 and had 37 sessions of Radiotherapy.Believe you me I did not think at the time that later on in life it could affect you.I have urgency 2/3 times a day wanting to get to the loo urgently,sometimes just making it,my bowel just does its own thing but at least i know when it happens,its a strange feeling.I am also diabetic and have urinary problems again it just does its own thing with slight dribbles,I have been caught out a couple of times and actually discharged all my bladder ,not very nice.I always carry a spare set of cloths in my car when I go out..The decision makers say they have spoken to a profesional about this but I really dont think they have.My appeal has now started and I have the help of a Solicitor and a advocacy to assist me in the way of a Barrister,they will not win .The whole PIP is a farce,my concerns are preparing food,toilet needs,dressing and undressing washing and bathing and Mobility.They scored me on the Daily Living on the above an average of 2 points equal to 9 points on the daily living and 10 points for Mobility.Each time they send me a decision letter it says exactly the same each time.They dont look at them again I can assure you all..They will tell you anything to keep you quiet.

• nannydebbie
    im sorry to hear your situation @ johnny they are just evil like you say they tell you anything thinking we wont go further i have similar problems to you and stiil only turned down for care 
  • nannydebbie
    @ dorothy im sorry how they treating you i hope you get some one to help you with your mr x
  • dorothy1926
    dorothy1926 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks nannydebbie x
  • Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    @Johnny100  It is unbeleivable really how they treat people. I don't want to be flippant here, but I know we all keep a sense of humour. I would, if I were you be very  tempted to pee in the assessment room , and possibly at any tribunal . 
    see how they dismiss that one!!
  • wildlife
    edited August 2017
    Everyone, I read somewhere about someone doing more than that at the assessment. It about matches the C*** they come out with..:) 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I've received my PIP tribunal 'joining instructions' with directions to the hearing centre: buses, tubes, trains, how far the walk is from each.  And taxi expenses will only be paid in exceptional circumstances such as if you have difficulty using public transport and walking.  For a PIP tribunal.  Of course, we know that only one in a million is disabled, don't we?  The real figure is 20%.
  • nannydebbie
    @ matilda good luck x
  • Matilda
    @nannydebbie

Thank you very much.  I'll post the outcome on the Scope site.
  • Justice
    @ Wildlife  eeewww that's pretty gross, but it did make me laugh all the same
  • Justice
    @Matilda, yes please let us know, we will all be thinking about you x
  • wildlife
    @Matilda, Have you decided how you're going to get there? Will you drive or go by taxi? @Justice, that comment isn't like me at all but couldn't resist. @nannydebbie hope you're feeling more prepared for your appeal. Have a good week all of you xxx
  • Matilda
    @wildlife

Taxi. Got to get approval from tribunal clerk first.  Cost will be around £25 plus each way.   They might not agree.

Have got an info sheet from tribunal all about public transport - and taxi fares only payable for disabled. This is a PIP hearing.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.