Checklist for continuing healthcare — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Checklist for continuing healthcare

Tash026
Tash026 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
I have a district nurse get in contact with me soon, about completing a checklist for her for continuing healthcare, what are the requirements to get this? If anyone knows anything about it I would love to hear from you. Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 21 Listener
    Hello Tash026

NHS continuing healthcare is the name given to a package of care that is arranged and funded solely by the NHS for individuals who are not in hospital and have been assessed as having a "primary health need". There’s no clear-cut list of health conditions or illnesses that qualify for funding. Take a look at the money advice services guide which explains eligibility criteria and what to do if you don't agree with the assessment:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/are-you-eligible-for-nhs-continuing-care-funding#what-is-nhs-continuing-healthcare-or-nhs-continuing-care

Here is a link to the NHS continuing healthcare checklist tool that the district Nurse will be using at the initial assessment:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/213138/NHS-CHC-Checklist-FINAL.pdf

This does not show whether you are eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, only whether you need full assessment.

The next stage is a full assessment with the decision support tool carried out by a multi-disciplinary team:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/213139/Decision-Support-Tool-for-NHS-Continuing-Healthcare.pdf.

I hope this helps,

Michelle1

• Peter_P
    Peter_P Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I am writing on behalf of my Sister who has cerebral palsy, epilepsy and a severe learning difficulty amongst other conditions. She has twice been assessed for NHS continuing care. The first time she failed to be granted the status and I appealed and that also failed but I think I now know why. Her second assessment was earlier this week. I was unhappy with the way the assessment was again conducted and in researching to see if any new experiences had been published on the internet I discovered the "National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care". https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/213137/National-Framework-for-NHS-CHC-NHS-FNC-Nov-2012.pdf
    This document sets out in Part 2 how the assessment is supposed to be conducted. Her latest assessment again showed serious diversions from what is supposed to happen and I will be pursuing this.

I strongly suggest that if you are to undergo a continuing care assessment that you download and read the National Framework  You should also download/read: "Failing  to care: NHS continuing care in England" which was written by the All Party Parliamentary Group on Parkinson's. Parkinsons UK have links to some other useful documents, so I suggest (if it's allowed) that you also go there to see what's available.

I shall try to remember to update you in a couple of months.
  • Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    @Tash026. I have been dealing with this retrospectively for my late Mum. A very good and helpful site to look at is caretobedifferent.co.uk I have found them a mine of information. Good luck it is not an easy journey.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    This is of real interest to me as we have just submitted 20 pages plus of evidence for my son's assessment (well I thought it was for the assessment; I thought the decision tool had been done and "passed"...but now I am not so sure!)  I have read the relevant guidance and so I think I know how it shoudl progress but signs are not encouraging so far in terms of process.  One thing I have discovered is that our local health authority appears to outsource the care plan creation and costing to an independent organisation called Salvere (the person who told me this said they were never asked for their permission to share with a third party)  Is this normal practice?

Brightness