Mixed emotions into lack of help. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mixed emotions into lack of help.

Options
Skippy1976
Skippy1976 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Currently beginning my appeal against PIP for my 19 year old son, really not looking forward to this battle again, find it hard enough knowing there isn't support and advise out there because of cuts!
now scared I'm not going to word the appeal form correct. As it all seems to come down to wording on these forms and how you comprehend you're sons needs in writing them correctly. 
Anyone out there with advice?

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Skippy1976

I suggest you re-post in Ask a benefits advisor category.
  • Skippy1976
    Options
    Not very good at this ☹️
    How do l direct my message to them?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Go to New Discussion choose Select category scroll down to Ask a benefits advisor.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options

I've moved your post to the benefits advisor category.

• Skippy1976
    Options
    Thank you.
    Trying my best to get it right, but seem to be hitting closed doors ☹️
    Really want to write the appeal form right.

• Becky22_
    Becky22_ Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options

the chances are that the mandatory reconsideration will be turned down no matter how you word it you will probably have to attend a tribunal as seems to be in many peoples cases that I have spoken to... it isn't an easy process I was waiting nearly 6 months for my tribunal date

good luck!!

• Skippy1976
    Options
    Yes I've  gathered this is the process regarding the "mandatory reconsideration" seems to be a standard letter to most.
    Such a shame, as rarely would we hear of a reconsideration being excepted. Seems they have used this to they're advantage.
    I have begun the appeal system!
    reading through every piece of paperwork they have sent, they sure contradict themselves, and lack of evidence into an assessment is poor.
    On two pieces of the report, they state " medical evidence" proves this/that!? They obviously have different medical evidence than l have for my son.
    Im ready for this, lm ready to go to tribunal even if it will be as long as 6 months.
    PIP cannot carry on bullying vulnerable victims, and use wording to undermine the truth.
    Bring it on-
    and constructively l will do more positive things from this experience.
  • Becky22_
    Options

I totally agree!

I found the whole process including the assessment very discriminatory and I feel they used the fact that I am young and do not look particularly disabled against me which I found totally unfair!

before this whole process I had a car on the mobility scheme which I relied on heavily to get around and to university as I am unable to use public transport but that was taken from me I just hope that the tribunal turns around the decision but I am not hopeful!

I wish you and your son the very best of luck through the whole process!! its a hard fight but it is one worth doing! try and get the support of your local member of parliament too! that's what I did!

• Skippy1976
    Options
    And also reading you're comments is very positive, keep going.
    l totally agree it is a very unfair system, it's not right you have to fight for what you always rightfully had.
    The " you don't look disabled" is the hardest battle! My 19 isn't in a wheelchair, but his mind may as well be.
    Yoy keep going, and if there is any justice you will be heard. 
    Stay strong and fight for you're rights.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Skippy1976

It's difficult to answer your question specifically because it is such a broad area and we don't know the details of your case. It goes without saying that advice from a local advice service is preferable but it seems as though you've already explored and it's not available.

Many people "do it themselves" and get a successful outcome so you shouldn't be put off. There are some useful tips and self help guides available at the benefitsandwork site here which could well be worth a look.

I hope this helps
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Becky22_
    Options
    Hi @Skippy1976 I hope everything is going in the right direction for You! A bit of positive news for you I had my tribunal yesterday and I won they over turned the dwp decision and awarded me standard rate mobility I was hoping for enhanced but I'm not going to grumble! Don't lose hope!! x
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    Hi Skippy1976,

Just to add, complaining to the assessment company about the poor assessment may be worth it too. They often produce reports with illogical conclusions based on things which just didn't happen...Each company (ATOS and Capita) have a website and you can contact them by email.

I mention this as sometimes it can help you at tribunal if you can say you've also complained about the poor qualify/untrue assessment.

Will

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    @Skippy1976

If you haven't already, do consider complaining to the assessment company about the poor assessment as it can help if you tell the tribunal you've done this - helps to show the assessment is worthless evidence in many cases!

PS, here's a link to Scope's videos about going to appeal.

https://blog.scope.org.uk/2017/06/20/how-to-appeal-a-personal-independence-payment-pip-benefit-decision/

Will

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.