blue badge charge — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

blue badge charge

Options
steve_noble1
steve_noble1 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
hi i just renewed my blue badge and i have been chared £20 for it never been charged before found out that thay now charge for it different price in england they charge a mazamum of £10 in scotland its £20 and in wales there is no charge hpw can this be right

Comments

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes they do charge now.  I don't know when it started as my little girl only got her first one in 2015 and I paid then.  

To be fair, it probably costs quite a bit to employ someone at the council to sort the applications out, and to produce the badge with all its security features.  The badges last for 3 years so it's pretty good value considering how much we save on parking  :)

A lot of council car parks in Wales charge for parking for blue badge holders (particularly Denbighshire) but you get the badge for free if you live there.  I think I prefer spending a few quid on getting the badge personally. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Councils in England have been charging for Blue Badges for years.  Once it was £3, then £10 - now £20, it seems.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @steve_noble1 under devolved powers the four regions, NI, Wales, Scotland and England will have very different rules on different things. When looking up information on a wide range of issues you often see 'different rules apply in Scotland'.

Where I have gone on to look at the differences in Scotland they are generally more favourable than in England and Wales. I am sure there must be other examples but this is the first time I have seen where the Scottish people lose out so much.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    Not only would there be administration costs for a council but can you imagine how many people would "try it on?"
  • steve_noble1
    steve_noble1 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Options
    i not complaining just didnt know they charged now

Brightness