P.I.P — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

P.I.P

bevt2017
bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
edited June 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I have been fighting P.I.P since July last year. i am profoundly deaf, I have tinnitus,  neurological problems, a incurable rare skin disease called PYOPERMA GANGRENOSUM and SUSSAC'S disease. I also suffer with depression. P.I.P have refused my application twice, because I didn't get enough points. they refused me a health assesment. and on Wednesday I went to court. i received a letter on friday from the courts, to say i was entitled to P.I.P, and it was for the enhanced rate. and P.I.P had to back date it to Aug 2016. i Brooke down crying, not because I won, but because I was so tired of fighting. My husband called P.I.P to see what would happen next?. because he has been my carrer since November, and  can't get any finacial help. they told him they had recieved the letter on thurs, and that they have the right to challenge the appeal. they said they have 28 days to do so. my heart sank, i couldn't believe P.I.P are going to make me wait another month. I can't believe they have so much power. with debts mounting, and 3 children it's been so hard, i just want to give up.

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bevt2017

In practice DWP rarely have grounds to challenge a tribunal's decision so in practice they won't and will just take the necessary actions to pay you the new amount and the backdated sum.

However, I understand that it can take up to six weeks for DWP to pay the new amount and the backdated sum.  But of course you will get these in due course.  Hang in there.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @bevt2017 DWP can only appeal a Tribunal decision on a point of law, in other words if the Tribunal panel didn't stick to the legal requirements when they  made their decision. This is very unlikely to be the case and it's not often the DWP find a reason to appeal, and then they have to win the appeal. So don't worry too much. It's disgusting that they should use this threat particularly when they know people are on a high to have won their Appeal and that they also don't understand the criteria for a DWP appeal of a Tribunal Decision and the risk of this happening being so low. I believe it takes about 6/8 weeks for DWP to start payments but in your situation I would ring and get it hurried through. If you ring DWP get the name of who you speak to at the start, then they'll be more careful what they say to you or your partner. You could write a complaint letter about the whole way your claim has been dealt with as you didn't get the award you were entitled to in the 1st place and it's taken a ridiculous amount of time. This should hurry things along. If you haven't heard anything after a month about them appealing you'll be safe as their time limit will have run out. Be strong and don't let their threats get to you. If you continue to have problems getting the payments started repost in ask a benefit advisor and contacting your MP would be a good idea although they are all busy with the election.  
  • bevt2017
    Hi wildlife
    Thank you so much for your advice.
    my husband will ring them again today. I've already emailed the MP, and your right, I recieved an email to say, there is nobody available due to elections. I have even emailed my local MP, and had no reply. I will let you know how I get on, but I can't see them doing anything until the very last day. 
  • wildlife
    @bevt2017 Glad you're feeling reassured about the DWP threat to Appeal. It's just a standard letter that doesn't mean a lot. When I suggest writing letters of complaint to either your assessment company and/or DWP. It's not just to complain about all that's happened but it actually helps in a big way to put pressure on the DWP to pay you sooner rather than later. Or if you really can't do this threaten to do it when you ring. I complained to ATOS and got my PIP increased at MR stage by telling DWP I'd done that and sending more evidence. Good Luck with sorting it out...x

• bevt2017
    Hi wildlife
    My husband phoned them again today.
    unfortunalty they are sticking to their legal right to 28 days, to review and appeal the decision. They said I will receive a letter in the post, to let me know if they are challenging it or not. 
    When my husband told them about my situation, and he was concerned about my mental state. He said they were not interested. They had no sympathy or compassion. It was like they were reading from a manual. He even spoke to the supervisor and she said the exact same thing. They gave him the director of operations name and address. after my husband asked for it. so i will start the letter a.s.a.p.
    Thank you again. X
  • wildlife
    edited June 2017
    @bevt2017
     Some of the advisors if not all need lessons in customer relations. I had a conversation with one of them who was talking to me as if I was stupid. I let her finish then pointed it out to her before ending the call. She apologized and hopefully will think twice on her next call about the way she conducts herself. I am disgusted by your treatment and glad you have decided to write a letter of complaint. I hope your husband told them you would be doing this but anyhow let us know how you get on. X
  • bevt2017
    Hi my husband has just contacted p.i.p again. This time the women refused to give out her full name. Also my case has now been sent to Bootle. she told him that if it was sent there, It is likely they will pay out?. She also told him it's not 28 days, its 28 working days? And if I hadn't heard anything at the end of June? to contact them again. I won't be waiting till the end of June, I will contact them again in 28 days, from when the courts made there decision. I also sent a letter of complaint, I haven't heard back from them yet? But I would advice everyone who sends letters, to have it sign delivery only. I will let you know how I get on.
    Thanx again.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    edited June 2017
    Hi @bevt2017

Sorry to hear you've been having some problems with PIP.

@BenefitsTrainingCo, can you help?
    Liam

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.