Wrong income and assessment by liverpool city council over e s a d w p benefits — Scope | Disability forum

Wrong income and assessment by liverpool city council over e s a d w p benefits

pharcoll Member Posts: 3 Listener
a relative of mine has just transferred from contributory based e s a  to income related e s a  apparently starting this July he was assessed by city council last year as only needing to pay £12.45 p w care charges he has  a supported tenancy and because of his mental health issues is supported round the clock by registered care firm paid by council on co tributary based benefit he was on £112.05 p w  which now he has just transferred to income related has gone up to £188.05 hence care charges gone up to £81.50 p w  but they have also sent me a bill backdated bill of £2,796 backdated to February 2016  which I cannot understand because he has only due to transfer to income related benefit from this July this is wrong there should not be any backdated bills of thousands can someone please explain regards roland collins


  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    He needs to ask the council where the figure came from.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi @pharcoll,

    Nystagmite is correct .. you need to contact Liverpool City Council and ask them how they have calculated the arrears they say that your friend owes.

    My guess is that they have considered that the income based ESA payment should have been in payment for the last year to 'top up' his contribution based ESA (both can be paid together in some circumstances) and therefore are basing the new calculation on income based ESA being in payment as well. However, as it has not been in payment, (and I am only guessing this is the reason for the arrears) you must write and ask for an explanation (or phone - but we always recommend backing contacts up in writing whether through email or letter).

    Here is a link to Liverpool City Council's complaints procedure.

    You can begin this process if you do not feel they have responded to your request for an explanation properly.

    Also has your friend got an allocated social worker / care support worker with links to the finance dept at the Council? This may help. 
    Or do you know your local city councillor? They may also be interested in your case and helping you find out what has happened.

    Good luck and please contact us again if we can help in any way. 

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.