Change in circumstances because receiving PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change in circumstances because receiving PIP

greenranger
greenranger Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello,

Do i need to inform DWP of a change of circumstances, because of

getting mobility component it has led to me now being able to get out and about and be more mobile?
Having the care element means I am now able to have some prepare my meals, which has helped?

Or is this expected as thats why it is awared to help because without it being mobile and preparing meals wouldnt be possible?

The form asked how disability effects you, but having those components now mean that changes?
If these benefits where not provided i would not be able to be mobile or prepare a meal?

Is this me being overally silly getting caught up overthinking/worrying about PIP?

Thanks
Frank

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @greenranger ; IMHO you are not overthinking this you are just being incredibly honest, but too honest for your own good. But look at it this way, you have not changed your condition in anyway, you haven't suddenly improved so that you don't need PIP anymore. All you're doing is improving your quality of life with the mobility component and paying someone to do something you cannot do yourself with the Daily Living component. This reminds me of what I have said that is so wrong with PIP that you have to be as bad as you can be to get it and remain in this state to continue to receive it. That is the idea behind your thoughts when you posted this. But ask yourself is this right? NO IT IS NOT.  
  • greenranger
    greenranger Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Yes it has improved my quality of life if i didn't have them i would not be able to do anything at all my condition would dominate and control my life to a point of having no life.

Thinking about it from a quality of life point makes perfrect sense.
    Thats why the benefit is provided to improve quality of life, it does not cure or remove my disability it just means i can have a better quality of life.

I was stupidly thinking oh things are easier now i should let them know, but the fact is has my disability changed answer is no, if they removed the components would i be ok or worse well i'd return to being worse and have to re-apply for PIP.

Thanks
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @greenranger Bingo you got it. The daily living can be explained away easily as the criteria is needing help from someone to prepare food and that's what you've got. Relax and enjoy what you can now do. 
  • Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    @ greenranger. Hello, be thankful that you have the award which you are entitled to.I know the DWP do some very stupid things, and seem to have no logic to their reasoning, but to give a disability award only  to take it away again because it helps would be ridiculous.

You are overthinking this one for sure, and as Wildlife said being incredibly honest. You have the same disability which you had before your award, and you are using that award to help you make the most of your life, to make things a little easier, to be able perhaps to get out, and not feel isolated which could lead onto other problems.
    I agree with @wildlife, relax and enjoy what you have while you have it, don't look for problems :-)
    I hope this post isn't too disjointed I am half asleep, but felt I had to reply to it before I sleep 
    Night Night
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Yeah, I agree it's a not a change. It's not as if when applied you could only walk 15 metres and now you can 40 metres. That would classed as a change.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi greenranger,

I think others on the forum have answered this. I agree - it's not a change. You still can't do the things you couldn't do when you applied for PIP. But now you have a bit of money to pay for getting out and about, and having help to prepare meals.

Don't worry: needing help to do those things is exactly what you get points for in the PIP assessment. So there isn't a change which you need to report. If you could suddenly do things without help from another person, without aids/appliances, without spending money - that would be different!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.