PIP Advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Advice

Pollyparrett2
Pollyparrett2 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello i would like some information  on pip , im 61 and was recieving low rate dla , then had an assessment  with pip and my benefit  was stopped , i appealed and was once again turned down , I have suffered bladder cancer since 2008 i had tumours return 6 times and several operations to remove them plus chemotherapy  which all faild so i was put on a 3 year program of bcg which so far is working but makes me very poorly ive also had half my stomach removed in 2009 due to  pyloric stenosis  also a ovarien cyst more surgery also suffer from underactive thyroid high blood pressure  sleep apnea and depression which has a profound effect on my life , but was still turned down i was awarded 6 points , i dont recieve any other  benefit except a top uo on my husbands pension , he also had cancer and has copd and fybomyralga but ws turned down and wont reaply as he worked all his life and  feels very let down , i hope someone might be able to give us some advice as we are rearly struggling now 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Pollyparrett2 and welcome to the community.

While it is not unusual for people to list their ailments/disabilities when discussing PIP they are largely irrelevant where PIP is concerned, except as additional information to support what the claimant is saying.

What matters is how you are able to cope with the laid out criteria and the point system used. You can see a copy here: http://www.focusondisability.org.uk/personal-independence-payment-PIP-assessment-points.html

Can I confirm when you say you appealed the decision did this include the Mandatory Review and a tribunal appeal? If you have not been down the tribunal appeal you can still request this if you feel your points do not match the different criteria.

You can check what benefits you might be entitled to by using Scope's benefit checker.

You could also try reposting in the ask a benefits advisor forum and someone from @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to give you more assistance.

I hope you can find something to help you.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Pollyparrett2

Welcome to Scope's online community!

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with PIP. As @Geoark mentioned above, Scope has a benefits checker which may be useful, and Benefits and Work have a PIP self-test available here.

We also have some information about appeals - including mandatory reconsiderations and tribunals - on our website, here.

I have also moved this discussion to our Ask a Benefits Advisor group, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to offer more advice.
    Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @Pollyparrett2

I too am sorry to hear that you and your husband are struggling.

I agree with @Geoark that the key question as to how to proceed is how far along the line of appealing you went. If you have not yet been to a Tribunal with your appeal then it may well be worth doing so.

The CAB have some useful information about PIP appeals here:- https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/apply-to-tribunal/

If you have already been to a Tribunal you have two options to consider - further appeal to the Upper Tribunal (which can only be done on a point of law, and has a strict timescale) or, more likely, claiming again.

If you are re-claiming, I recommend having a look at the descriptors for PIP, and you could also try the benefits and work PIP self-test to try and get an idea of what rate you are aiming for:- https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test  @Geoark is to some extent correct that even a very long list of conditions may not result in a PIP award if you are able to cope with your Daily Living and Mobility needs. Although from your description above it does sound like you are struggling and so it seems worth checking to me!

On a side note, I presume you are claiming Pension Credit as a couple? If so, make sure you are also claiming the right Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

Good luck! and let us know how you get on or if you have any further queries with this.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.