Why can I not receive mobility? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why can I not receive mobility?

paulap123
paulap123 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I was receiving DLA for the past 20 yrs
low care high mobility indefinitely 
But having difficulty to been successful for the mobility component ? I cannot use public transport or go on journeys unaided at any point, and if go out further than 5 mins travel on my mobility scooter I need some one with me as cannot walk steady, as no balance? So y is that I cannot receive mobility?

Comments

• paulap123
    paulap123 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Sorry never said why I cannot walk unaided I had a brain hemmoridge which left me with disabilitys
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been having. Have you considered applying for a mandatory reconsideration? Citizens Advice have some more advice and information here.

I have also moved this discussion to our Ask a Benefits advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to advise.
    Liam
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    How far can you walk?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi there,

I'm sorry you are having problems with this.Could you get back to us with a bit more detail about what's happened to your claim? Is it that you have been reassessed under the PIP rules and been refused the mobility component? Either way, do you have any information from the DWP about what has happened to your claim and why? It would be easier for us to advise with a bit more information, such as how many points you were awarded and if you have asked for a reconsideration of the decision. If you feel you would like to try and talk to a local adviser, such as Citizens Advice, then the Scope helpline will have local information - 0808 800 3333.
    Thank you,
    Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• nerys
    nerys Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Ive got pip mobility and i use crutches....i need them all the time so cant understand where this has come from.x
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @paulap123

Did you claim under finding your way around, or getting around, or both?  Are you going to appeal?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi paulap123,

Not everyone who qualified for the DLA mobility component is entitled to the PIP mobility component, because they have different rules. But from what you say, you DO qualify for the PIP mobility component too.

You have to score at least 8 points, and you can get these either because you have problems mobilising or because you can't plan and follow a journey. It sounds as if you should definitely have got points because for a start, what you say suggests that you cannot stand without help. It also sounds as though to go more than a certain distance you need someone with you. The distance you can go by yourself is relevant.

If you haven't asked for a reconsideration, I'd do that as soon as possible and explain what points you should have got. You can see the points here. If you haven't already got it, I would also ask for a copy of the assessor's report. Point out anything you disagree with on there, and say why, giving evidence if you can.

If you have already asked for a reconsideration and been unsuccessful, you can appeal - there's more information about the whole process here, and Scope have produced really useful videos about it too.

It really does sound as though you should qualify, so go for it! If you need further help, the helpline can signpost you to local advice agencies.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.