special aid. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

special aid.

trudielee
trudielee Community member Posts: 2 Listener
what is classed as an special aid when going to claim mobility pip last year i was awarded standard pip for care with no mobility i have now suffered more health problems and have been assessed and qualify for a electric wheel chair  but i dont know how many points you have to have to qualify for mobility ??

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't know what 'special aids' are.  Aids in general include: sticks, crutches, walkers, shopping trolleys. These are the qualifying descriptors for PIP mobility:

Ability to walk aided or unaided:

0-20 metres = 12 points (enhanced rate)

20-50 metres = 10 points (standard rate)

50-200 metres = 8 points (standard rate)

If you use an aid on wheels, to get points you still must be able to walk only 0-20 metres, etc.  Some people have said that they were refused PIP mobility because, though without the walker or trolley they could walk less far,
     a walker or shopping trolley enabled them to walk more than 200 metres.

PIP logic! 

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Aids, in general, under PIP criteria are disability items that a non-disabled person wouldn't use, such as those mentioned above. So, a shopping trolley shouldn't count - because as someone who isn't disabled in that way may still use one.

(but yes, I am well aware DWP don't do logic)
  • trudielee
    trudielee Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thanks for reply so is a wheelchair classed as an aid then??

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I suppose but I suggest that you ask in 'Ask a benefits advisor' category for expert advice.
  • Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    I am not disabled, but since my car went to the scrapyard in January I bought a shopping trolley because I had to. It nearly kills me dragging the thing home 
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    The mobility part is about how far you can walk and not how far you mobilise.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.