What benefits now — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What benefits now

hazey067
hazey067 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello There,I am 65,(66 september).I have just been changed over from DLA to PIP,I was on top rate for both on DLA (mobility and care),I am now on enhanced rate for mobility and standard for care .. Can my partner still claim Carers allowance for me ,and can I still get my Pension Credit,and will I have to notify DWP or will they know and automatically adjust.thank you .

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi hazey067,

Yes, your partner can still get carer's allowance for you, assuming they are still caring for you and they aren't getting retirement pension themselves. Standard rate daily living is a qualifying benefit for someone to get carer's allowance.

And yes, you can still get pension credit. The change you describe doesn't affect pension credit, but there is no harm in telling them anyway, just as there is no harm in telling the carer's allowance unit.

If you are not happy with the level of PIP and think you should have got the enhanced rate then as you may know, you can ask for a mandatory reconsideration, but they do look at the whole of your award again when you do that. If you do go ahead with challenging the decision (within one month if possible) I would think carefully about how clearly you can show you should have got more points (at least 12) for daily living.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• hazey067
    hazey067 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thank you very much for your help .If I ask for a mandatory reconsideration, would I have to have another assesment,and would I have to go to court,as I cannot go out of the house thank you

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @hazey067,

We have lots of useful information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website, including helpful videos on mandatory considerations and the appeal process.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch.
    Liam
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hazey067.

Welcome to our website/online community.

I hope everything has been sorted ????

Please please let us know if we can help you further ?????
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @hazey067

You will not be asked for further medical assessment for a Mandatory Reconsideration, it is the very very start of the appeal procedure. But neither will you go to Court for it. It is just a letter to which the DWP will reply by post.

If this is refused then ultimately it would be a case of following the appeal procedure. As a part of this you can opt for a paper hearing, or what is known as a 'domiciliary' hearing (where the tribunal comes to your home - however this is rare and would need to be supported by medical evidence). But in general my advice is always IF POSSIBLE push yourself to attend the Tribunal. Oral evidence is what wins tribunals, and even if you have only been out once in the past year, making the second time a trip to the Tribunal may be worth your while.

Hopefully it won't come to that, but if it does and you're thinking of not attending, please get back in touch so we can attempt to persuade you otherwise(!)

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.