reading from notes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

reading from notes

ocdman
ocdman Community member Posts: 58 Connected
Hello everybody,

Got a pip medical next week. ive been filling in the form beforehand taking advice from sites like this and ive watched the video you guys do here saying its ok to take p/copys of the form I sent to atos so that I will do . I was wondering if at the medical after you get a question, if its ok to refer to notes ive made beforehand ? like say someting like wait a mo then look at notes then read back the answer. Sorry if it sounds a silly question but im worried about doing something wrong at the assessment and they think that im just being awkward and fail me out of spite . ive done all my prep work so I would be grateful for advice on how to approach referring to my notes at the assesement . Thnx .

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I think taking notes along is recommended so it can assist you, so referring to them is to help you answer as fully as possible?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • ocdman
     I fully understand Sam ,thanks ,ill say that if the assessor gives me the impression they are getting annoyed etc..

Another thing im worried about is should I drive to the assessment, half of me thinks why not but the other half thinks better not in case they make assumptions because I drive. Ive read lots of horror stories about the dwp making these assumptions and I worry a lot about what to do. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @ocdman

I suggest that you don't drive yourself to the assessment.  Go by taxi if necessary - the assessment company will refund your fares.  I attended my assessment by taxi.

Assessors and DWP think that driving activity, for example, indicates ability to bathe and dress in a reasonable time, as well as a good general level of physical ability - as do tribunals. I won my tribunal appeal but had to keep insisting that I only make a few short car journeys each week.
  • ocdman
    Thanks Matilda, that's exactly what I heard - what you said . Can I ask you Matilda if you took a taxi how come at your appeal the issue of your driving came up ? Did they ask you if you drive ? That's what I worry about, if they ask me ? If its a standard question then there is nothing to loose by driving there ... If you see what I mean .
  • Sam_Alumni
    I would say that you should travel in your normal way, if you would usually drive yourself around then you shouldn't say that you would usually get a taxi.

Scope
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @ocdman I think I'm right in saying if you do decide to drive yourself there and you go alone no matter how short a journey this is you would have to be prepared for this to be recorded as you being able to plan and follow a journey therefore you will probably get 0 points for 50% of the mobility category. That will only leave walking ability. So check out which one of the descriptors in the walking distance applies to you and if this will get you the higher or standard rate whatever you're happy with make the decision based on this. Bear in mind you will be assessed on how you move from the car into the waiting room and then into the assessment room as well as questions on walking distance and ability. Remember that time also comes into it so stopping to rest on your way in will help if you need to..
  • ocdman
    Great answer wildlife. It fully explains what I was wondering about. Thanks.
  • Sam_Alumni
    What @wildlife says is true, my point is that you must tell the absolute truth during your assessment and if you can plan and follow a journey and would usually drive yourself around on a day to day basis then you should be honest about that.
    Scope
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    ocdman,

I can't really add to what others have said. Do take notes with you, and do refer to them, and if relevant explain why (for example, if you get anxious or tend to forget things, it's useful to say so).

As regards travel, I would say to travel as you normally would to an appointment of that distance regarding how nerve-racking it is - because it is daunting, you might decide not to drive whereas you would drive to something that you'd done before. So even if you would normally drive to something that distance away, it might still be completely normal NOT to drive to this, because of the nerves factor.

I would echo what everyone has said - the way you get to the assessment, and your ability to move around once you get there, will all form part of the judgements made by the assessor. 

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• ocdman
    And thank you Sam and benefits training. I have all the info I need now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.