Two missed appointments for DLA assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Two missed appointments for DLA assessment

yellow
yellow Community member Posts: 2 Listener
2 missed appointments for DLA assessment .   Recent death of my sister , new diagnosis of fibromyalgia , long standing history of bipolar ,   I'm troubled as to what will happen . Any advice would be appreciated 

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @yellow,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

I'm so sorry for your loss and to hear about the problems you are having. With regards to the DLA assessment, have you contacted the assessment centre?

I've moved your post into our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, so @BenefitsTrainingCo can advise further.
    Liam
  • yellow
    yellow Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Liam 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @yellow did you contact them to explain?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    yellow,

Is this DLA or PIP? DLA is normally for a child under 16 and PIP for people who may have been moved from DLA or who are making a new claim when they are over 16.

As Sam says, if you haven't already, please contact the DWP and explain why the appointments were missed. You should get a new appointment if they accept your reasons. If they don't, you will get a letter telling you that your claim has been refused.

It's important at that point to take action:

• ask for a mandatory reconsideration (MR) of the decision to refuse your claim, giving your reasons for non-attendance again. You may have to appeal if the mandatory reconsideration doesn't change the decision AND
    • make a new claim (in case the mandatory reconsideration and appeal are not successful). You should still continue with the MR and appeal if necessary because otherwise you won't get back payments.
    You should ask for the MR within a month of the decision to refuse DLA/PIP, if you can. You can ask for one in writing, or by ringing up, but make sure you insist on getting an MR notice.

I hope this helps. At the moment, it's a question of waiting to see - but do give them your reasons if you haven't already.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.