tribunal how long does it take — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

tribunal how long does it take

nicholafitzpatrick1
nicholafitzpatrick1 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
hi how long does it take once the tribunal and court have your application someone said 2/4 weeks?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    has your appeal been accepted ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • nicholafitzpatrick1
    not yet but our doctor emailed information too, really praying he gets it!
  • CockneyRebel
    If you have appealed to the tribunal the first thing will be a letter to say that your appeal has been accepted. The DWP will then have 28 days to prepare their bundle and you will receive a copy. You should then prepare and send in your submission
  • nicholafitzpatrick1
    yes had the acceptance letter 2 weeks ago. And the citizens advice emailed me the form to fill out and highlight what activities we think the decision is wrong and the way to word it. And our doctor emailed the court backing my partner up on his disability.I was told 75% of appeals get overturned so fingers crossed!
  • CockneyRebel
    The next thing will be a big bundle of paperwork from the DWP with all the evidence which is their submission to the court. They have 28 days to do this. When you recieve this you must check it to make sure that all your evidence is included. You must then prepare your submission ( with the help of CAB if possible). This you send to the court. If you have opted for an oral hearing, one that you are going to attend to give evidence, the court will write to you giving you a date. Currently, depending where you live, this could be 6-7 months. If you have asked for a paper based hearing it may be quicker but you will not get a date as they slot them in when they can. Oral hearings statistically have a 65% succes rate with paper based slightly less.  
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @nicholafitzpatrick1

Can I just clarify whether this is a PIP or ESA appeal?  I don't know anything about ESA - but I won a very good PIP Tribunal award recently so I could give you a lot of info about the latter.

• lulubell
    lulubell Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Hi all , I'm awaiting esa tribunal appeal date , so far I've been waiting 21 weeks for a oral appeal . In the meantime I'm receiving no benefits
  • CockneyRebel
    Have you rung the tribunal ? they should be able to give you an idea when your hearing will be
  • cath61
    cath61 Community member Posts: 28 Listener
    Hi Matilda could you give me the information you have on your appeal ... Mine is ESA but i might be able to use the information you have 
    thank you 
    cath61 
  • Matilda
    edited August 2017
    @nicholafitzpatrick1

Below is what I posted right after my Tribunal Hearing.  Hope it helps.

"Had my Hearing today and have been awarded enhanced daily living and enhanced mobility; indefinite award.

Tips?   Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling; and have thorough medical evidence even if it's not recent.

The only medical evidence I had was the DWP doctor's report and my GP's report from 1998 (both very thorough) when I was awarded DLA highest rates both components indefinitely.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked for how long I could walk (time).  The Atos assessor asked that, too.  Although of course PIP points are supposed to be awarded for distance, not time (or so I thought).

Doc also asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

The judge, doctor (as well as the Atos assessor) all seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a low level of disability.  Which is nonsense.  What's the point of Motability, then?  And many disabled people would be housebound without a car.  

I only take two, maybe three, round trips of 12 miles or less a week; I find driving long distances tiring.  I wouldn't advise any claimant to state that they do a lot of driving, especially longer distances."

• lixsharp13
    lixsharp13 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Hi ive been waiting since june for a daye for my hearing. Ive had a copy of the dwp s response and got some more evidence from my gp. Ive since been in hospital and my condition is worse. Should i write to them and include my evidence or wait for the hearing date?  Thanks everyone
  • Matilda
    @lixsharp13

The Tribunal are only allowed to consider how your disabilities were at the time of the assessment not as they are now, even if they have got worse.
  • CockneyRebel
    If the evidence from your GP relates to your condition at the time of assessment then you should send it. If it relates to a later condition then you should hold it for next review or new claim.
    Have you rung the tribunal clerk for an update on waiting times in your area ?

CR
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @nicholafitzpatrick1

As the community above have indicated, there is no fixed timescale, and it does vary geographically, but roughly, its around 2-3 weeks for the Tribunal to log the initial appeal, another month or so for the DWP to prepare the bundle, and another 4-6 months for the hearing date. Citizens Advice have some very useful info on their website https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

@lulubell - I presume your ESA appeal related to a fail to attend an appointment/return a form/change of condition? for an ordinary 'didn't score enough points' ESA appeal you can receive 'appeal rate' ESA once your appeal is logged if you have a sick note...?

@lixsharp13 - @Matilda is right in saying that the Tribunal are only allowed to consider you as you were at the date of the DWP decision under appeal - this means that deteriorations in health cannot be considered, and sometimes can be harmful to appeals in that if the Tribunal feels you only just meet the criteria now, they may assume you would not have at the time since you state you were significantly better. If the deterioration is significant you could think about making a new claim on this basis as well as the appeal.

Hope this is of assistance.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• Peachy
    Peachy Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I've waited 6 months for my appeal, I should have gone on the 9th January but it as been cancelled because they put me on the wrong list and didn't have a Doctor. any body got any Idea how long I'll wait and how to prepare for the tribunal. Thanks

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.