Education info for Tax Credits — Scope | Disability forum

Education info for Tax Credits

mumn6 Member Posts: 4 Listener

Hi my Son is 20 and as been offered a place at the local College.  He will be doing a course for Young People with severe SEN.

they have only offered 2 days a week & I am wandering if this is enough for my Son to continue to receive Tax Credits?  any advice would be great.  Many Thanks Karen :)



  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,384 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mumn6 It would be better if you posted this in the ask a benefit advisor section.

    @BenefitsTrainingCo are you able to assist with this one?

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @mumn6,

    I'm sorry that you haven't had a response to this yet. I've now moved this post into our Ask a Benefits Advisor category.

    @BenefitsTrainingCo, can you help?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Hi @mumn6,

    If we are talking about Child Tax Credits then unfortunately you will not be eligible to claim for your son as he is over 19.

    If we are talking about Working Tax Credits, then he should not be precluded because of part-time college, but it will depend on what work he is doing and what other benefits he is receiving.

    Hope this helps.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.