Going abroad for medical treatment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Going abroad for medical treatment

RSISolutions
RSISolutions Community member Posts: 128 Courageous
I'm considering going abroad for medical treatment. I'm not sure how long I will go for. At least 1 month and probably up to 3 months. Im currently in receipt of ESA (waiting for ESA appeal). Am I entitled to a benefit whilst I'm abroad receiving medical treatment ? 

Comments

• gnmeads
    gnmeads Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Hi RSISolutions welcome to the Scope community
    I think you can carry on getting contribution-based ESA for up to 26 weeks if you’re going abroad for medical treatment for yourself or your child but i'm not sure if it's income based. Take a look at this: 
    https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/illness-injury-benefits
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi RSISolutions,

There are a few answers to this question depending on your circumstances.

1. You can continue to be entitled to ESA whilst abroad indefinitely if your absence is for NHS treatment at a hospital or other institution outside Great Britain.
    2. You can continue to be entitled to ESA whilst abroad for the first four weeks for any reason, if your absence is unlikely to exceed 52 weeks.
    3. You can continue to be entitled to ESA whilst abroad for the first 26 weeks, if your absence is unlikely to exceed 52 weeks and is solely in connection with arrangements made to treat your disease or disablement which is which is directly related to your limited capability for work or that of a child you are accompanying.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• RSISolutions
    I am currently on income based employment support allowance. Does this make a difference to the answer? 
  • gnmeads
    gnmeads Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    I think it does but if I were you I would call the ESA helpline: 0345 608 8545. The line will tell you it's the job centre but give it a chance and I think you'll find it more helpful than the normal Lines
    Please get back to me if you have any more problems
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi,

No difference, Lee is talking about income-based ESA here - conditions remain the same re household income/capital/etc

Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:

• RSISolutions
    Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo. If I go abroad for medical treatment that is not being paid for by the NHS, but will help me to gain future employment, and will be provied by qualified medics, will I get ESA and MIP benefits?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.