Permitted work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Permitted work

Options
Angel110
Angel110 Community member Posts: 9 Listener

Hello there,

I am on enhanced PIP for mobility and care and I am on contribution base ESA SP. If I did take up the permitted work as stated in the rules will this go against my benefits. Whilst I like to continue to work few hours and keep myself occupied I don't know how the DWP actually look at this. I would be great full if someone can give me some advise or direct me please.

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Angel110,

Sorry that no one has got back to you yet. I've just moved this discussion into our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to offer some help and support.
    Liam
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    you need to be careful that any work you do does not conflict with the reasons that you receive benefit.
    For example claiming for mobility then working delivering leaflets would be of concern
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Angel110 - I agree with CockneyRebel that the skills and abilities you need to carry out your chosen permitted work should not conflict with the reasons you are receiving ESA. The example given above is a good one. You may need to revisit the activities which scored you points when you had your ESA assessment (or phone DWP to find out which ones they were), and make sure that even when you do the permitted work that those points still apply to you. 
    There is more information about permitted work here:
    www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Employment-and-Support-Allowance-Permitted-Work/What-is-permitted-work-(Employment-and-Support-All

There is also a form on the DWP website which you can download and fill in to let DWP know you are doing permitted work, as they will want to make sure that you do not exceed 16 hours, or £120 a week:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form

Even though permitted work is a great idea, especially as your earnings from it are disregarded as far as other benefits are concerned, it can also act as a sign to the DWP that perhaps you are feeling better, which is why I recommend that you feel secure with your ESA points before you start permitted work. It's better if your permitted work is of a flexible and casual nature, where it doesn't matter too much if you are not well enough to go in on a particular day. 

I hope this helps, and that you feel you can go for it! 

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.