Turned down again — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Turned down again

Helenmckenna
Helenmckenna Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Can someone give me any advice have recently just applied again for pip I have spondylithosis and mental illness being depression, borderline personality disorder, anxiety etc I have allready before been through this earlier in the year I had a tribunal and was treated awful just had my assessment over two week ago to be told today I dident get it I really don't know what to do I have to write a reconsideration letter and at the moment have no support workers to help I really feel like taking my own life due to all this constant upset have read on here people have contacted various places can someone help please on how I go about this much appreciated 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2017
    Hello Helen and welcome

PIP has been made hard to get but the key is to understand the system, criteria and the points scoring for each descriptor

Have you taken the self test at B&W ?

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

Can you let us know just where in the claim process you are ?
    Have you just had a second assessment and been refused ?
    If this is the case then you need to request an MR.
    to help you understand the reasons for the decision you should request a copy of the HCP report from the DWP.
    You only have 28 days from the date of your decision letter to request an MR.
    Can you get a letter of support from your GP ?

I would suggest that you try and get trained advice from CAB, welfare rights or any charity that deals with your condition.

let us know what else we can doo to help

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    @Helenmckenna Sorry you're having such a bad time. You don't mention whether or not you have got your assessment report. This is a 28 page document that is only sent to you on request. So if you haven't got it you need to ring DWP and ask for a copy to be sent urgently as you only have a month from the date on your decision to do the Mandatory Reconsideration. There is a way of extending this time limit but you may not need to do that. Find the PIP points system online and go through the Descriptors to check which one's you think you should be entitled to. Your MR can then be done using your Decision Letter and assessment report against what you decide you should have got as regards points. Do you have enough evidence to prove what you want to say? If not think about what further evidence you need and where you can get it. If you sent in evidence that they're not using refer to it in your letter as you go through each activity. Quote the assessor and describe why that's not correct and what you need by way of help and why. Then put Ref: Doctor's letter. This is just an example. You can also ring DWP and ask for a call back from a Decision Maker to discuss why you keep being turned down and what you need to give them as evidence to make a difference to your points. Evidence isn't just medical although that's the strongest, it can be from a carer, family member, social services or anyone else who knows you and can write a letter about the help you need. You can also make a diary for a typical week. Mental health affects physical activity so make sure you tell them as much as you can about a bad day. These have to be over 50% of the time to qualify. Hope that helps..X

• Helenmckenna
    edited August 2017
    I have had medical assessment and called them today to be told it's a no so will now have to send a reconsideration letter the way my mental health is at the moment I cannot even begin what to do about it all have been through all of this before through a tribunal which the panel made digs about my weight etc have no support workers at mo as they have all left so I'm sat here wondering how I cope with all of this 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Helen
    The first thing to do is request a copy of the HCP report, do this now , even before you receive your decision letter.
    The only way to approach it is one step at a time.
    There is some great info on this site about MR's and how to do them
    You have made a great start by finding your way to our community. There are loads of people here that have ben in your position and are willing to help.

So, check out the help videos and ring DWP for a copy of the report. 

Remember one step at a time

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Helenmckenna,

I am so sorry to hear about the problems you're having with PIP. It sounds like a really tough time but do know that you're not alone.

Have you visited the benefits section of our website? We have lots of information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on there which you might find useful.

You mention that you feel like taking your own life. If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org.

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/suicidal-feelings/how-can-i-help-myself/.

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.
    Liam
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Helenmckenna I am sorry you are having such a tough time, it is a positive step to speak out and ask for help though.  I hope the community can offer you some information, support and a safe place to chat.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Helenmckenna,

You need practical assistance to help you with your dispute so please make contact with your local Welfare Rights team or CAB who may be able to take your case on and relieve some pressure from you. 
    When going through the mandatory reconsideration process and the appeal it is vital that you can submit some medical evidence from your GP or any other medical professionals involved in your care. Good luck!

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Helenmckenna
    So I scored zero points on all of my assessment and now have to write a reconsideration letter I've filed a formal complaint as they have not been in touch with my doctor which I think is disgusting and are expecting support letters from doctors mental health professionals etc really confused with what to do now 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Helenmckenna

As my colleague Lee suggests i think you should seek help locally where there may be a service that can provide you with the help you need. If you're not sure where to look i suggest you contact the Scope helpline on the number at the top of this page. They should be able to direct you.

I'm sorry this is causing so much distress. Please be assured that although it can be incredibly stressful many people go on to get the decision they expected in the first place. Keep going!

Best wishes
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.