Want to give up PIP feel so restricted — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Want to give up PIP feel so restricted

atypical
atypical Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello All,

I think the whole process from start to finish has finally caught up with me.

I have condition that varies with my knee but over 50% of the time it impacts me, great face2face assessor got that.  Wonderful great you may think and so did I.

Now though I feel my first barrier in life is this PIP award, not sure if its the wording, the changes, or the whole process.  Am sitting her I should enjoy this I've got it, but I simply cannot, because well it now feels like a barrier and because of how its worded in the award am like damn can I do that or does that go against PIP??

I am at the stage of saying no take it back because I simply cannot cope with it. I got through the bariers of my disability but can't through this barrier now.

Anyone else feel like this and how have you got over it espically on your better days?

Thanks
Pam

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Pam
    What you are feeling is not uncommon, When you are having a good day you almost feel like a fraud. PIP is awarded to help you lead the best life you can. It recognises that you have some difficulty and an assessor has made the call and agreed. It is not a barrier to prevent you doing things, you don't have to live down to it, rather you should live up to it and make the best use of your life on your good days.

CR .
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • atypical
    Thanks CR

I thought i would not be alone in how I feel

I know am not going to be running a 5k anytime soon, but on those good days for me it's always if i bumped into an assessor or DWP now they'd be screaming fraud criminal after me, it be the next day when am just like death they wouldn't see.

Pam
  • CockneyRebel
    I am pretty useless most mornings, waiting for meds to kick in etc. So when I can hardly  physically move I hang around here and other forums, poking my oar in when I think I can help. That way I hope I am doing something usefull. A shift of focus can often make me feel not so useless for a time
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @atypical Wow I know exactly how you feel and I probably don't need to say why you feel like this as you've worked it out for yourself and put it into words that most of us will be able to identify with. However it's not you that's caused this so why should you suffer. The fault lies with the system, the actual process of a PIP application causes all sorts of negative emotions to rise to the surface. We ought to have help from Victim Support to recover from the experience it's so bad.
                 I suggest you see it from a different perspective, that it's the PIP process that needs to change not you. So forget what PIP says you can or cannot do. Provided your condition that made you entitled to the benefit doesn't change for the better do all the things you enjoy within the limitations of your physical capability. You have every right to live life whether you're disabled or not. Think of the programmes like DIY SOS where a property is adapted to provide an environment that gives a disabled child the dignity and quality of life they so deserve. No-one then takes their benefit away. So use your PIP to make life more comfortable and to ease your suffering and you won't go far wrong.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @typical

I assume you put on PIP form that you have a minority of good days so why feel guilty?
  • atypical
    @matilda

On the form, I described how it is on the bad days, and listed what my doctor told me to do e.g. gentle exercise.

At the face2face I told the assessor that the questions had been answered on how it is on the majority of days and that was how it impacted me. I told the assessor how I need to choose one activity over the other.

The award letter does say that
    "Your condition varies so scored on how it is most days."

I may feel more comfortable when the assessors' report comes through the post, I've requested It but can take awhile.

If I am still feeling this level of anxiety and worry I'll just give it up the money really helps but it's not worth this level of worry.

thanks
    Pam
  • Matilda
    @atypical

PIP is complex, often far from logical and certainly often not applied within the legislation or guidelines.  Not sure even the DWP understand the rules.  If you meet the descriptors then you qualify for PIP.  I would  not overthink it. PIP is not an exact science.

• Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    I sick Of PIP haven't come first their was I'll second could not find my flat after wait half hour went toilet 25 time with Axnity so have some behalf of me phone check PIP but FTU which mean fail turn up I so angery with PIp I decided give notice to my flat and moving out I want go back Disability Benefits just had enough I can how peoples are kill them self over PIP 
    V.shaw
  • CockneyRebel
    It is understandable to think that we don't deserve the awards we are given, especially when our condition doesn't affect us all the time. When you read the forums or listen to the news about people being turned down for awards that they so obviously deserve we can feel guilty. Remember it is not your fault ! Even if you wanted to you couldn't give your award to them. If you give up your award, not only won't it help anyone else, it could actually be detrimental. The HCP who made the assessment could be subjected to scrutiny, just for doing their job properly.
    It is, of course, for each of us to come to terms with ourselves, how we cope with the situation we find ourself in. For many people on PIP, finding a purpose is important. Some people are able to return to work or find new work with the help of PIP.. Others take up new hobbies or develop new interests.
    The importance is that PIP is  only awarded to deserving people, with genuine  needs who meet the criteria. There are exceptions of course but no lying, cheating lazy, goodfornothing waster would give a second thought to returning their money. So trust that the system got it right for you, if your condition improves, then is the time to have a reassessment and let the system work as it should.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi atypical - as everyone on here has said, PIP is paid to people who meet the criteria and have been through a long and depressing claiming process to establish that they satisfy the rules. The intention of PIP is to assist you with the extra expenses of being 'disabled'. and to enable you to lead a fuller and more participatory life, for example, by being able to get a taxi if you need one.It is not intended to be a label, or a liability, it's just a financial means of being able to do things that you want or need to do. Don't overthink it, as Matilda says! If you are having a good day, and can perhaps walk further or feel less pain than the PIP descriptors 'permit', then don't worry about it. PIP is intended to reflect how things are for you most of the time, not all the time, and people with fluctuating conditions are accommodated within the PIP rules. So - don't worry, be glad you have it, and as CockneyRebel says 'let the system work as it should', which it clearly is doing in your case! 
    All the best,

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• atypical
    Ok thanks 

@CockneyRebel @Matilda @wildlife

so just because I have PiP does not mean my condition has vanished but Pip has removed some of the barriers and impact of my condition and that's why I have been successful.

if I give it up all those barriers and impacts would come back.

is that PIP's purpose to help remove or reduce those barriers caused by disability/condition?

Thanks
    Pam
  • CockneyRebel
    The purpose of PIP is to help remove barriers caused by financial cost. Obviously, your difficulties still remain, PIP is paid to help with the additional costs of living  with your condition. For some people that could be the cost of taxis or the cost of adaptations to your home. It maybe that you need a special diet. PIP awards are given so that  you can live the best life you can without cost being a barrier. At least that is the theory.
    Try not to over think it, you got an award because the HCP and the DM deemed that you met the criteria for one. It does not mean that you have to think of yourself as disabled, it does not mean that you can't do the things that you feel able to do. It does mean that you should live the best life you can

CR
  • Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    I feel can't cope with another let down by PIP just can't face at movement 
    V.shaw
  • wildlife
    @ Dasiydo  If you start your own discussion (click on new discussion) you can tell us all about where you are at in trying to get PIP and someone will help you. I am a very strong person normally but going through the PIP process has made me ill so you're not alone..X
  • Matilda
    Although my appeal succeeded, still three months after my PIP nightmare ended I am stressed.  For example, when I came back from the Tribunal I put my bundle of papers in a heap - and even the thought of touching them again  causes my stress levels to rise
  • wildlife
    @Matilda Good job you didn't do a Subject Access request you'd have a much bigger pile. I am suffering too and still not finished. Will try and have a break once I've supplied all the necessary info. to ICE and ICO. Not really sure what ICE (Independent Claims Examiner) want to be able to investigate my ATOS complaint. Will ring them on Monday.. 
  • Matilda
    @wildlife

I couldn't have coped with any more red tape - I'd have been a nervous wreck.

Hop it doesn't take too much longer for you to get a resolution.

• wildlife
     @Matilda I am a nervous wreck but I've come a long way and aim to find out if we are/aren't protected by law. ATOS took 5 months to reply to my complaint and the timescale with ICE is even worse as they're still on complaints from June 2016. So there needs to be something else in place to protect all these people who are victims of abuse, sounds harsh but that's what it is. OK kindness and empathy may not be appropriate in a business setting but honesty in recording the correct facts is a must. Anything less than that is unacceptable. 
  • Matilda
    @wildlife

Yes, Atos assessors are corrupt and blasé with it.  I've said before that my assessor wrote that she watched me take my bag off over my head, put it down on the floor and then pick it up again when I was about to leave.  I never removed my bag from my body once, not even during the exercises!

I hadn't the strength to complain on top of all the other hassle. But I admire you and all the others who do complain.

An MPs' enquiry into Atos complaints was abandoned because of the general election and there appears to be no sign of a new one.
  • wildlife
    @Matilda ATOS sent me 6 X A4 sheets of how the report was in line with DWP guidelines. Their favourite cop out which I've had twice from different sources at ATOS is: It is very difficult to reconcile what was said or not said at the assessment we basically have two different versions of events. Translated that means they believe the assessor is telling the correct version and I'm lying. I'm hoping ICE will see that I wasn't likely to have removed the plastic label from a water bottle held between my knees. Let's hope so anyway..

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.