Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Disability cost of living payment

Options
Fatboy58
Fatboy58 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Good morning  1st time poster here
I was awarded my 1st PIP payment in December 2022 will I be eligible for the disability  cost of living payment  for 2023
Or is not open to any new awards a after may 2022 Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,429 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The cost of living payments for this year will have a new qualifying criteria, which hasn't yet been announced. All they've said for the £150 is that it will be sometime in summer 2023. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/over-8-million-families-in-the-uk-to-receive-new-cost-of-living-payment-this-spring

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pixistickx
    Pixistickx Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456, do you know if you will receive the 2023 disability cost of living payment (£150) if you have applied for PIP but have not yet received a decision or if you are appealing the decision? 
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,024 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi dose anyone know if you get the cost of living payment with PIP. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456, do you know if you will receive the 2023 disability cost of living payment (£150) if you have applied for PIP but have not yet received a decision or if you are appealing the decision? 

Very likely yes but the criteria hasn't been announced yet. Payment is due sometime this summer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi dose anyone know if you get the cost of living payment with PIP. 

You will receive the £150 sometime this summer but the date hasn't been announced yet. If you're only claiming PIP you will not be entitled to any other CoL payments.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,024 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh that's a shame 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Oh that's a shame 

The same rules apply for this years CoL payments as last years.
  • Pixistickx
    Pixistickx Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Options

Very likely yes but the criteria hasn't been announced yet. Payment is due sometime this summer.
    @poppy123456, thank you for replying :) I had applied for PIP in 2019 and successfully overturned the original decision in June of 2021 at appeal. That award ended in February of this year and I received a letter saying that I would need to make a fresh claim, so I'm in the process of doing that at the minute. I received last years disability cost of living payment but wasn't sure what the rules are surrounding those who are awaiting decisions or awaiting appeals on original decisions.  
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    @poppy123456, thank you for replying :) I had applied for PIP in 2019 and successfully overturned the original decision in June of 2021 at appeal. That award ended in February of this year and I received a letter saying that I would need to make a fresh claim, so I'm in the process of doing that at the minute. I received last years disability cost of living payment but wasn't sure what the rules are surrounding those who are awaiting decisions or awaiting appeals on original decisions.  
    Overturning the original decision to not grant an award is one thing, why was the length of award not challenged as well? The DWP are pretty good at giving the shortest time frame as they think that they can get away with.
    Did you not challenge the DWP for them to provide evidence for their decision of a 3 year award?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.