Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Carers allowance and company pensions

Joanie18 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello all. I am a full time Carer for my partner. My allowance is my only income. When I reach 60 in October I am due to receive a final salary pension. Am I correct in saying that this is not classed as earnings so will not affect my Carers allowance.
thank you


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,055 Disability Gamechanger
    Pensions are not earnings so won’t affect your carers allowance. Are you claiming any other means tested benefits with your partner?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joanie18
    Joanie18 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thank you for your reply.
    He is not claiming any means tested benefits. He is claiming PIP and also ESA but the support group (the old style ESA).  He was medically retired due to having Primary Progressive M.S.
    All I claim is Carers, no other income or earnings.

  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Joanie18 said:
    He is not claiming any means tested benefits. He is claiming PIP and also ESA but the support group (the old style ESA).  

    The old ESA can be assessed for income based ESA. If your only joint income is ESA PIP and CA then he should be entitled to income based ESA unless you have joint savings over £16,000 or does he have a pension which could nil the income based ESA.

    How much ESA does he receive?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.