Moving to another Borough accessible level housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving to another Borough accessible level housing

Options
Mrlyrics1234
Mrlyrics1234 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi my name is Mrlyrics1234 how's everyone doing??

Comments

• Mrlyrics1234
    Options
    I live in private accommodation and since my disability has got worse I'm being classed as in unsuitable housing as I can't get upstairs without a struggle. Also I can't go out without a chaperone as I suffer from SEVERE SLEEP APNOEA and borderline narcolepsy ( I just blackout whenever e.g talking on phone, walking, in the shower) I'm looking all the time but being in London not much pickings..... well I've been looking deeply into coastal housing or boroughs near coastal villages because their are much more 2 bed houses and bungalows built in these I might seem a bit pushy saying I want a house or bungalow but if you were someone who couldn't go out unless someone else took you (
    e.g covid because of my illnesses i was basically locked up for 2 years  fear of getting it and not coming back from it )  A garden for little freedom and fresh air I don't think is too much anyhow back to my rant. The deeper I looked I found how many vacant properties council and private accommodation were vacant in these boroughs but they still have housing troubles anyway I want to move out of London to somewhere with a slower pace of life. Is there any organisation or charity that can help me do this as the council aren't very helpful.
    Thanks to all that read my post 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Mrlyrics1234

Welcome to the community! I just wanted to let you know I popped your post into our Housing and Independent Living section of the forum in case anyone else can help :) 

I'm so sorry the council haven't been very helpful. Citizen's Advice will be able to help advise with council housing. Are you searching for homes through the homefinder? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    Options
  • Markey
    Markey Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    I was in a similar situation, I was in private rented accommodation in London but when my condition worsened and I had to stop work, I could no longer afford the rent, the Housing allowance was far less than my actual rent. So after 10 years I had no choice but to move. I was desperate for a bungalow with a garden, but Local authority wouldn't even talk to me unless I got evicted and became homeless, even then my best hope was a flat... I found that Bungalows with a garden in the private sector were all much more expensive then the local housing allowance regardless of where I looked, and I searched from Scotland to Cornwall !! Eventually I found an area where the asking rents matched the local authority housing rate. and 3 weeks ago I moved into a detached 2 bedroom bungalow with a garage and nice garden and the rent is only £5 a week more them my housing allowance for a one bedroom !! It's not on the coast, but in a small village in Cambridgeshire.... Try searching some of the small villages surrounding Cambridge (within 15 miles, they don't all work but some do, you have to cross check each property with the housing allowance) after searching the entire country for 6 months I believe it's probably the only place where this is possible. If you need any help or more advice please let me know and ....Good luck :-)
  • Mrlyrics1234
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply I take on board that most boroughs LHA is way off what the private sector rent is and the cross checking takes forever but I'm determined. 
    Thanks again 
  • Mrlyrics1234
    Options
    Hello @Mrlyrics1234

Welcome to the community! I just wanted to let you know I popped your post into our Housing and Independent Living section of the forum in case anyone else can help :) 

I'm so sorry the council haven't been very helpful. Citizen's Advice will be able to help advise with council housing. Are you searching for homes through the homefinder? 
    I am but there's nothing suitable very rarely there will be 1 or two vacancies but I'm always 400-600 on the list I will try to see if the citizens advice can help they have helped me before 
    Thank for your help 
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 565 Pioneering
    Options
    If you are a social tenant in London you could try Seaside and Country Homes, a scheme run by the mayor's office for Londoner's. I think you have to be over 55. They offered me a flat in Brighton and one on The Isle of Wight. https://www.london.gov.uk/programmes-strategies/housing-and-land/council-and-social-housing/seaside-and-country-homes/seaside-country-homes-areas-and-properties#:~:text=The%20Seaside%20%26%20Country%20Homes%20scheme,are%20covered%20by%20the%20scheme.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.