45 year old man looking for a career change — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

45 year old man looking for a career change

Options
jahanley
jahanley Scope Member Posts: 9 Connected
Hello, my name is James; when I left school, I went to a local college (in Vancouver, Canada) for Hospitality Management, and unfortunately, I didn't graduate as I was short a few credits( I tried to complete those courses, but I, unfortunately, couldn't pass the classes that I needed to graduate but with the help of a career counsellor I found employment at the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver and worked there filling mini bars for ten years. It was great, and I got to stay in Hyatts all over the world for free, but I knew I could do more than fill minibars for the rest of my life. So I returned to school to become a career counsellor for people with disabilities. Unfortunately, my first job was customized employment, so I got discouraged as there wasn't much support to learn and grow. Now I work for a non-profit caring for people who have cognitive disabilities and want to make a career change, but honestly, I'm not sure what type of job I should train for or apply for.

Thank you in advance for  your advice
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hi there @jahanley thanks for your query :)

I'm not a careers adviser, so I can't help you directly, but I can ask, what do you enjoy most about your current work, and would you like to continue doing that?

Or, do you feel stuck and in need of a change?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • jahanley
    Options
    Hello
    Thank you for asking. I feel stuck, and I need a change; I'm very frustrated because my partner has moved 2.5 hours away to Vancouver Island to go to University. I want to move to be with her, but I have difficulty finding employment. 
    My main issue with my CP is my Coordination. If I didn't have coordination issues, I could be a bartender or work in construction. I have been to a recruitment agency and they said they could help me, but it's been a year, and they haven't been able to help me.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    That does sound frustrating @jahanley, does your partner understand how you're feeling at the moment?

I'm sorry to hear the recruitment agency hasn't been much help, and I'm afraid our Employment Support Services are UK based, as we're a UK based charity. 

Do you have list of all the skills and attributes you've built up across the different jobs you've had? If you've got that list, highlight which ones are transferable to other roles. 

Are there many remote jobs being advertised in Vancouver Island that would fit the skills you have? 
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• jahanley
    Options
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Yes, my partner does understand how I'm feeling, but saying that, we are both frustrated. I, unfortunately, am blaming myself for not finding work. But we are trying to work through it. I haven't made a list, but thank you for suggesting it.
    Unfortunately, there aren't many remote jobs offered in Vancouver and Vancouver Island, and when I do find an online, I'm scared that it's a scam because, in Vancouver, there seem to be many scams going on at the moment.

What online jobs are offered in the UK at the moment? I have a UK passport, so maybe I could apply to a UK company and work from Vancouver. Does that sound like a possibility? 

Thank You,
    James
  • Alex_Alumni
    edited April 2023
    Options
    You're welcome @jahanley, I'm not too sure what the answer to your last question would be, I did find some information from a UK immigration advice service: Is it legal to work remotely from another country? 

I'm not sure it relates to your situation, but I think it covers UK residents wanting to travel abroad for remote work. It might be worth reading up on either way :) 
    Scope

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    The one thing to keep in mind @jahanley is whether it says you must be located within the UK (for example). Otherwise, if there are no such requirements, you could of course. It might be worth contacting employers and asking them about their requirements  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • jahanley
    Options
    I would very gladly move to the UK. It has been a hope and dream of mine for many years I just want to experience something new
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hear you @jahanley :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.