Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Lcwra decision wait times question

Options
matt222
matt222 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi i have just had my lcwra assessment this morning after waiting 15 for it how long could i expect to wait now for a decision? According to the person who did the assessment its highly likely i will be awarded it due to cancer issues and surgery's will i be backdated the full 15 months? Thanks

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @matt222

I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer issues and surgery, I hope you have a good support system for that?

It can take up to 12 weeks to hear anything back, I do hope you hear back sooner rather than later! With the letter, you will find out if you are awarded and if you will receive any back payment. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You should automatically be found to have LCWRA if you are receiving treatment for cancer by way of chemotherapy or radiotherapy
    For this to apply you must either be actually receiving it, or:
    you are likely to receive such treatment within 6 months; or
    you are recovering from such treatment;
    and the decision maker is satisfied that you should be treated as having limited capability for work-related activity.

The extra money is paid from the 4th month after you reported your health condition/sent your first fit note. It's not paid at all during the waiting period.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • matt222
    matt222 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Hello @matt222

I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer issues and surgery, I hope you have a good support system for that?

It can take up to 12 weeks to hear anything back, I do hope you hear back sooner rather than later! With the letter, you will find out if you are awarded and if you will receive any back payment. 
    Hi thanks for the reply so it could be another 3 months then i suppose which is a bit annoying seeing as it took them 15 months to give me a assessment they only sent the uc50 form in January after multiple requests etc for it as its usually meant to be automatically sent after 3 months of signing off sick not sure if there has been delays but its been a long 15 months of keep having to get sick notes and speaking to my work coach and explaining my situation cut a long story short I've had major surgery to remove cancer in the bowel but because im not currently receiving chemo or radiotherapy i don't automatically get awarded lwcra as i understand it im due to go back into hospital in the next few months for more surgery again so its unlikely i will be able to work again for some time as recovery is going to be harder for the next one i also have mobility issue with one of my legs with bloodclots and it effects my ability to walk any real distance but the lady who done the assessment said she didnt really need to put much down about that on the assessment she focused just on the cancer and bowel issues which i found odd i did try to push her on this as my leg has effected me big time in being mobile as its swollen twice the size for some years now but nope she said the other stuff would suffice so im hoping that its all ok and i get awarded still but we will see really sorry for the long post just trying to get this stuff off my brain 🤦‍♂️😊
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Don't worry about the long post, vent away! :) 

I also have bowel issues and have been through two stoma surgeries so I am wishing you all the best with the second surgery and hope your recovery goes well.

It's frustrating to hear that they don't automatically award because you are not receiving chemo or radiotherapy. I do hope you hear back soon! Hopefully it'll be a weight lifted so you can focus on everything else! 

When you feel up to it, it would be great to see you in our Coffee Lounge. It's where we play games, have general debates and share our interests and hobbies. It may keep your mind off things as you are recovering! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.