ESA review — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA review

Options
kami84
kami84 Community member Posts: 46 Listener
Hi, I'm in a support Group CB ESA. I read on here that reviews are suspended but I also heard and see from.internet that they are not suspended for everybody and that some people do indeed receive ESA review forms and papers. 

Comments

• bobby123
    bobby123 Community member Posts: 190 Courageous
    Options
    kami84 said:
    Hi, I'm in a support Group CB ESA. I read on here that reviews are suspended but I also heard and see from.internet that they are not suspended for everybody and that some people do indeed receive ESA review forms and papers. 
    They are still suspended but what year was your last review
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    bobby123 said:
    kami84 said:
    They are still suspended but what year was your last review

The year of your last review will make no difference because as you said, they are still suspended.
    kami84 said:
    they are not suspended for everybody and that some people do indeed receive ESA review forms and papers. 
    No idea where you read that to but it's not correct. The only assessments that are taking place are new claims and change of circumstances. Reviews have been suspended for almost 3 years.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kami84
    kami84 Community member Posts: 46 Listener
    Options
    Hello I started ESA at the end of 2018 I only had paper based review and then COVID happened 
  • bobby123
    bobby123 Community member Posts: 190 Courageous
    Options
    kami84 said:
    Hello I started ESA at the end of 2018 I only had paper based review and then COVID happened 
    So just to confirm you haven't had a review since 2018 is that correct.

I just want to know how far behind they are
  • poppy123456
    Options
    bobby123 said:
    kami84 said:
    So just to confirm you haven't had a review since 2018 is that correct.

I just want to know how far behind they are

This still isn't going to help you because it's no indication of when you will be contacted in the future. Some haven't had a review for several years.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • MrSt0rM
    MrSt0rM Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Just wanted to add to this post since the anxiety of this has been killing me. I rang DWP today and they said the reviews are not suspended and have given me the review date of May 12th 2024 for my review (I will receive forms around a month before then) If you are worried or wanting to know the review date, ring and they can tell you.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    MrSt0rM said:
    Just wanted to add to this post since the anxiety of this has been killing me. I rang DWP today and they said the reviews are not suspended and have given me the review date of May 12th 2024 for my review (I will receive forms around a month before then) If you are worried or wanting to know the review date, ring and they can tell you.

The advice you've been given is incorrect, they are still suspended. Yes, you've been given a review date, which you will be given if you ring and ask but the review date is just a guide and nothing more. They probably seen the review date on the computer and "assumed" they are not suspended. ESA Support Group is an ongoing award until a new decision says otherwise.

It's also worth remembering that when you ring ESA you're speaking to someone from a call centre who has very little knowledge of the benefits system and they will have read from a screen.
  • MrSt0rM
    Options
    Hi, yes I am aware that it’s just a call centre, however my friend who also rang to ask a few months back was given January 11th 2023 as a review date and they received their forms around beginning of December 2022. I rang up cos I was wondering about my own case as it hasn’t been reviewed in a while. So it seems to be 50/50 on what is suspended or not. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How frustrating is that @MrSt0rM - a luck of the draw or not! 
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • paries1
    paries1 Community member Posts: 380 Pioneering
    Options
    MrSt0rM said:
    Hi, yes I am aware that it’s just a call centre, however my friend who also rang to ask a few months back was given January 11th 2023 as a review date and they received their forms around beginning of December 2022. I rang up cos I was wondering about my own case as it hasn’t been reviewed in a while. So it seems to be 50/50 on what is suspended or not. 
    Oh this isn’t good news , I thought we’d be safe until the end of the year or early next year. This is one of the reasons I try never to call up DWP. 
  • bentan930
    bentan930 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    I posted some indisputable stats from government website on review numbers. It showed a very small number had taken place in late 2022 maybe 2% of previous pre covid numbers  for a quarter. Poppy also had a theory this was people already sent a form. 

But the stats clearly show pre covid they were doing 500/600k reviews a year. Even if they have restarted they will have a backlog of at least 1 million that have had no review for at least 2 years. So even if they restarted at pre covid levels which is very very unlikely it would still take 2 years to catch up. 
  • MrSt0rM
    edited May 2023
    Options
    paries1 said:
    MrSt0rM said:
    Oh this isn’t good news , I thought we’d be safe until the end of the year or early next year. This is one of the reasons I try never to call up DWP. 
    I’m sorry, I never posted here to upset people, I myself suffer terrible anxiety and I only phoned up because I would rather be prepared for it than it just drop through my door without warning. Perhaps my friends review was just bad luck, but they seemed confident that reviews where going forward. There may be a backlog in areas bigger than others. Me and my friend are in Liverpool area so it could be they’re catching up in this area and not others.  
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Even when you ring to ask what date your review is expected, as i've already advised, this is only ever a guide and isn't set in stone that's when you will receive the forms. (or even a month before)

This is why i wouldn't advise people to ring to ask this question. In my opinion it's pointless. Before anyone asks, yes i claim ESA myself and in 10 years of claiming, i've never rang to ask this question.

I'm not aware of reviews starting back and the last time i heard they weren't expected to start anytime this year.
  • bentan930
    bentan930 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Sorry Poppy could I just ask when you “last I heard “ did you hear from someone official or well connected ? Cause you always seem very confident about this 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It was the beginning of this year and it was both.
  • paries1
    Options
    Pre covid I had called up DWP twice,  and both times I called I received a UC50 a few weeks later, my reasons for calling were not regarding a reassessment date. Coincidence or not I dunno but I won’t be calling them up anytime soon, if they leave me alone until early next year I’ll be happy . 
  • Nashota
    Nashota Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    Options
    I had a review in 2021 but this was after sending a ESA50 in 4 years previously (yes I did fill in a fresh form after someone on this site advised that I ought to ask if I could and I was moved to SG).

I would never call to ask for a date, I prefer them to contact me.
  • apple85
    apple85 Community member Posts: 401 Pioneering
    Options
    There seems to be split views on whether esa reviews have restarted:

on the one hand long term posters/mods are saying it’s still frozen but it sounds like that info was from jan/feb and may be out of date

on the other hand it is a newbie saying reviews have restarted (the info could be correct but if a mod was saying the info it would be harder to question) - there was a new poster in late 2022 on another thread who said esa reviews had restarted but that turned out to be nothing (I do sometimes wonder if the odd person posts on this forum just to wind up vulnerable people - a horrible thought but not unheard of)

The last few times we’ve rung the dwp to ask something we’ve had review paperwork sent out the day of the call so I’d recommend leaving things be and listen out for insider info or multiple posters saying it’s restarted.

for those who are saying reviews have restarted I have the following questions - are they currently support group or wrag? And when was the start date month/year of their current award?

logic wise I think the dwp would be concentrating on pip and uc reviews as all esa will become uc eventually - though the fact natural migration is back on the table I wouldn’t be surprised if the dwp started targeting those with more ‘able’ looking conditions and those without a recent pip backing things up

also a high chance I’m wrong and a certainty I overthink things 😅
  • paries1
    Options
    apple85 said:
    There seems to be split views on whether esa reviews have restarted:

on the one hand long term posters/mods are saying it’s still frozen but it sounds like that info was from jan/feb and may be out of date

on the other hand it is a newbie saying reviews have restarted (the info could be correct but if a mod was saying the info it would be harder to question) - there was a new poster in late 2022 on another thread who said esa reviews had restarted but that turned out to be nothing (I do sometimes wonder if the odd person posts on this forum just to wind up vulnerable people - a horrible thought but not unheard of)

The last few times we’ve rung the dwp to ask something we’ve had review paperwork sent out the day of the call so I’d recommend leaving things be and listen out for insider info or multiple posters saying it’s restarted.

for those who are saying reviews have restarted I have the following questions - are they currently support group or wrag? And when was the start date month/year of their current award?

logic wise I think the dwp would be concentrating on pip and uc reviews as all esa will become uc eventually - though the fact natural migration is back on the table I wouldn’t be surprised if the dwp started targeting those with more ‘able’ looking conditions and those without a recent pip backing things up

Exact same thing happened to me twice. 
    I called up DWP for other matters and a few weeks later I received UC50 in the post on both occasions so I try not to call them for anything just in case it triggers them sending me out forms . 

What an absolute terrible way to live , all this fear exacerbates everything. 

I hope your theory about them reviewing UC claimants first is wrong as I’m on UC and would rather they stay well away atm lol 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    apple85 said:

I don't think there's any logic to that at all. PIP has nothing to do with the work capability assessment. The work capability assessment process is the same for ESA as it is for UC, even the forms are the same apart from the name.. ESA50 and UC50.

Natural migration was never suspended anyway. Natural migration is when someone has a change of circumstances that prompts a move to UC from another benefit.

Managed migration is when you're invited to apply because your other benefits are ending. Those claiming Income Related ESA will not be invited to apply for managed migration until at least 2028 (unless you're claiming tax credits) or a change of circumstances prompts a move in the meantime.
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.