Hi everyone - Carer Allowance query — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi everyone - Carer Allowance query

Options
ollieandduke
ollieandduke Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
I have been claiming carer allowance since 2020 for looking after my wife who is disabled and needs help around the clock.
I received a letter friday inviting me to a voluntary interview under caution regarding working.
They advised me to bring a solicitor if needed but nobody else. This is a problem as my wife cant be left alone and i have nobody else to look after her.
I have filled in the form they sent me advising i cant go and a hand written letter explaining why.
My worry is now can the send police to my door and arrest me leaving my ill wife alone.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would say it's unlikely they will send the police but your Carers allowance could be suspended if you don't attend. Have you been working and earning more than the weekly limit? Are you claiming any other benefits such as ESA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ollieandduke
    Options
    Hi poppy my wife receives income related esa as a joint claim with me and she also gets enhanced pip for herself. I worked in 2020 but i declared it to carer allowance i just dont understand what there on about
  • ollieandduke
    Options
    Can they stop all her benefits while this is sorted. Ive spoke to CAB they said the dwp might ask me to have an over the phone interview or agree to an home visit. Im ok with that Ive agreed to this in the letter I sent with my form.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is the letter related to ESA or Carers allowance? If your wife's the main claimant of the ESA then you can work up to 24 hours per week but only £20/week of your earnings are disregarded. After this any Income Related ESA is reduced £1 for £1. Did your wife contact ESA to tell them that you were working?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ollieandduke
    Options
    The letter is related to carer allowance in my name.
    Thing is this only flagged up when I changed my bank account because my local bank closed down and since then ive received my letter, yes my wife contacted esa nothing changed with her money, ive explained all this in the letter i sent, i guess i will just have to wait and see what happens when they receive my returned form.
    I will know there checking if my carer allowance dont go in on monday 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @ollieandduke I hope they get back to you soon. I also hope they are able to do everything over the phone or with a home visit for you 🤞
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.