At my wit's end — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

At my wit's end

Options
trb10
trb10 Community member Posts: 61 Connected
So I got my UC statement last week and they have deducted ESA from the amount.  I wrote on my journal that I don't get ESA so why has it been deducted?  Was told I needed to contact ESA.  Contacted them, they said I don't get ESA and would contact UC immediately to confirm this.

Fast forward a week and UC are still saying I am showing as in receipt of ESA.  Phoned up again and am told I'll get a call back within 3hrs.  24 hrs later, still no call, so call up again, empty apologies and told I will definitely be called back today within 3 hrs. 

That 3 hr deadline has now passed and I can't get anyone to understand that I am in dire straits as I haven't received the UC I should have but no-one from either UC or ESA seems to want to sort it.  I asked to make a formal complaint this morning and was told I needed to wait for a manager to call, which needless to say hasn't happened.

I just don't know what to do.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can contact your local MP who will hopefully contact them to sort this out for you. Usually an MP will get them shited. https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-an-mp-or-lord/contact-your-mp/

You will need to make sure you tell them exactly what's happened and ask if they can help you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • trb10
    Options
    Sadly my MP is totally useless and won't engage with DWP problems
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Then try putting a message under "service issues" then hopefully a case manager will see it. Just as an after thought are you claiming UC with a partner that claims ESA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • trb10
    Options
    No it's a single claim.
  • perdita
    perdita Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having. Seems we are in a similar situation but at different end of the spectrum. You are trying to get them to accept that you no longer receive ESA and I am trying to convince them  that I do and I am in 5he support Group. It seems outrageous that two departments can't  speak easily to one another. Hope you get this resolved quickly.
    Take care 
    Helen
  • trb10
    Options
    I know, it's utterly mad!  I can't believe they don't have internal phone numbers or email addresses to resolve this.  All I ever get from UC is that ESA is showing in payment so *I* need to sort it out.  I asked why they couldn't communicate directly to resolve it and was met with "it's your responsibility"  I was promised a call back by 5pm today with a resolution.......No prizes for guessing whether I have been called or not
  • perdita
    perdita Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Options
    Mmmm of course not. Let us know how you get on and when you get a resolution 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear all about this @trb10 it creates a lot of stress and anxiety, hopefully next week you'll be contacted and be able to sort this. Wishing you the best in the meantime :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • trb10
    Options
    Thank you.  I will update you when I have any more info
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck @trb10. Please also let us know if there's anything we can do to support you in the meantime  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • trb10
    Options
    So just to update those that are interested......I eventually got a call yesterday from someone at ESA who was adamant that there was no live case so had no idea why UC were deducting it from my payment. I suggested he call them to sort it out to which I was told, and I am not kidding, "We're not allowed to phone colleagues"  He then looked through various different screens and because I have an appeal for an ESA claim which has been closed and is still closed, he thought that must be what is causing the problem.

In his defence, he called me back later that afternoon to say he had emailed UC to explain I had never received any ESA since my UC application so no money should be deducted and he had had a reply from them just saying "ok" apparently.  Fast forward 30 mins from that and I have a journal entry in my UC account saying they need to look into this and it has been escalated to the ESA team but there is no timescale for a resolution!!  I give up.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    I'm sorry this is such a headache for you @trb10 it really feels unfair when you are the one doing all the chasing for something which isn't your fault! 

I hope there's a resolution soon for you, fingers crossed :)
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• trb10
    Options
    Well I finally had a letter in my journal to say that a claim for ESA had been incorrectly reported and they will now pay the difference that I am owed by Tuesday.  Hopefully that is now resolved going forwards!
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Oh let's hope so @trb10, then it can be done and dusted :) Hope you can enjoy the weekend in the meantime!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.