If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC overpayment mandatory reconsideration

Options
mmoo60
mmoo60 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
edited May 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, After decision maker, I'm paying back large overpayment via my claim (ie £0 for next few years! 🥺 no other money) Journal said 'no' to mandatory reconsideration. Can they say that? I found the form anyway CRMR1. struggling to fill it in. I understand whoevers fault.. I pay. How can I word it to ask if they could reduce the amount at all? Is that even possible? My MH is blown right now. So scared. Thank you

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this @mmoo60 have you tried reaching out to any professional advisers? You can search on Advice Local, or enquire with Turn2Us or Citizens Advice?

You can also contact the Scope Helpline by phone or email to speak to one of our advisers too.

Have you spoken to anyone about how all this is making you feel, like your GP? Then can help support you with your mental health, or build on the support you already have in place. 

If there's anything we've missed, or you still feel unsure about, please ask and we'll do what we can :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • mmoo60
    Options
    Thank you for replying @Alex_Scope
    I've managed to get the form sent now. eek!  Fingers crossed. I rang Scope they gave me Citizens advice no. They said they will help if its turned down. 
    (Dr is pretty useless tbh, only concerned if I was to 'commit any self harm' and 'make a mess of her office' sheesh.   Crisis team dismissed me without even meeting me!  Must all be in my head lol.) Don't get me wrong.. I'm a polite pleasant person to meet. Just invisible as is MH.
    UC are giving me £0 a month to live on, so that's good too.
    Scared stiff right now. Thanks for listening Alex x
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @mmoo60

I hope Citizen's Advice are able to help you. I'm so sorry that your Dr acted like that, can I ask, does your GP Practice have multiple doctors under them? I'm wondering if seeing another doctor would be more beneficial. But, you don't have to see a Doctor to get a mental health referral. You can self refer through the NHS website

There are also some amazing organisations out there like SHOUT who are a 24/7 mental health texting service. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • mmoo60
    Options
    Thank you @Hannah_Scope
    My previous one was good but I got moved to this other one's list. I've thought about it yes..
    I wasn't aware of self referral. I will look into that. I had a lovely therapist but covid and cost put an end to it. 
    Thanks for the Shout tip too.
    X
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,134 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @mmoo60. It is my understanding that deductions for overpayments are handled by DWP debt management and they are usually quite flexible in the lowering the repayment amount if it is leaving someone in financial hardship. Have you tried giving them a call to discuss?
    There's also a limit to what they can take so shouldn't zero your award unless you have other deductions for wages or overlapping benefits. Has anyone taken a look at your statement to ensure that it is correct?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • mmoo60
    Options
    Hi @Adrian_Scope , It's re an old ISA I informed them of in first month of claim!, I shall cash it in to go towards the overpayment, I've told UC that.  Have been advised not to contact or pay anything yet as that commits me to the whole overpayment amount of £19K!  My Mand. Recon. is asking to reduce this amount as I did not "fail to inform them" I have a bit of proof.
    If no joy then appeal.. eek.
    Waiting now..... holding my breath since March 😣🤯🥺
    I thought that too but seems they can 😢 (Just UC & LCWRA to £0, no other factors) Can't trim down DD's etc any further ie Electric Insurance etc. so they'll all bounce soon with charges. 
    Too scared to do PIP (been suggested to me) as LCWRA nearly finished me off!  
    Sorry waffling on.. absolutely no one to talk to, 62 and got this far with my "head" I suppose. 🤔
    Thank you Adrian x
  • mmoo60
    Options
    Thanks @Danny123 .  I thought so too.
    My ISA will clear about half. The rest from UC deductions over a long time. 
    Giveth then takeawayeth lol
    Then I have nothing until pension in 4 years time at 67. Unless I cash that in too! 
    First time in my life I asked for help!
    Should've know it would go wrong 😢
    Just need this sorted and out of this 'head'. I'm hanging on..just 🤞🤞

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Danny123 said:
     I think and I'm not quite sure but it's around a pound for every 250 pounds your over the limit a week , I think maybe uc is a bit more , im not quite sure the excact figures
    That applies to legacy benefits. For UC it's £4.35/month for every £250 or part there of over £6,000.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mmoo60
    Options
    I've given them a whole spreadsheet lol
    with all the £4.35/£250 deductions worked out for the 6 - 16k bit. 
    I flagged it up to them. After noticing the deductions weren't right. 
    Thank you @Danny123 & Poppy 
  • mmoo60
    Options
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.