Hi, my name is katiejoe! I had a telephone assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is katiejoe! I had a telephone assessment

katiejoe Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I had a telephone assessment between 9 and 12 no call I rang them and they said it said examined on my form then he said I would probably get another letter in 3 weeks but I don't know whether he means another phone app please help I am stressing out 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,590 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m afraid no one will be able to answer your question. If you don’t understand what they mean then you will need to ring them again to ask. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 5,879 Disability Gamechanger
    hello @katiejoe

    Hope you are well today? Just wondered if you had managed to speak to them and find out what they meant?
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.