Just need to vent. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just need to vent.

Options
JustJem
JustJem Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
Hi, I'm really struggling to find any structure and routine in my life.

I claim ESA and PIP and want to make something of myself and my life, but I'm fearful that if I do that.. then I'm going to be worse off..

Autism and mental health issues are taking over my life, and would do anything just to be normal and feel like a part of society in general.

I'm not working and tried permitted work in the past, my main concern is if I tried to do some permitted work or volunteer work in the future.. then it would be used against me... 

What should I focus on? Should I feel guilty for being on benefits as that's how I'm feeling at the moment.

Thanks and sorry if I mentioned this before, I just need some advice.

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @JustJem

I'm sorry you are struggling to find structure. Did you start your 1 to 1 support? If so, how is that going?

When you say, you want to make something of yourself, I wondered if you mean there is an area of work you'd like to go into? Scope has their own Employment Services that I'd encourage you to talk to.

I also wonder, what kind of hobbies do you have? I love makeup and started a blog when I was at school. Over the years it has changed but it gave me a lot of structure :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JustJem
    JustJem Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Options
    Hello Hannah, I'm getting support with the mental health team which is good.

I know I'm not ready for paid employment yet but.. if I do some volunteer work.. I don't want people to think I'm ready for paid work.. as that's a long way off.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @JustJem Volunteering is great way to dip your toe in work and see how you get on and build confidence.  Ultimately, what others perceive of us and our choices is out of our control, but remember - you would not be doing anything wrong at all by volunteering. Rather, you'd probably be making yourself a little happier <3 Maybe check out some opportunities on the Do IT website and have a think. We're here anytime you need support.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.