Carers allowance and income support — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance and income support

sunshine2024 Community member Posts: 27 Listener
Hi, i currently claim carers and income support i was wondering if i was to stop caring for them if i could claim for the other grandparent and still stay on income support ? 


  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,011 Disability Gamechanger
    If the Carer’s Allowance is continuous it should be OK to stay on IS. Under current plans you will have to switch to UC by the end of 2024 (which may pay you more depending on your circumstances).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.